Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help on the previous thread where I asked about the optispark. I need to pick the brains of the Caprice scholars here once again.

Just picked up a 96 Caprice 9c1 Lt1 with 150k on it from a friend. The car has had one owner since it was taken out of service and appears to have been fairly well maintained.

Put a new battery in it and it fired right up. Ran a little rough and felt like it was missing on one cylinder. Changed all the plugs back to Delco ones since it had Bosch in it. Checked the plug wires out and they are relatively new. Appears that there is spark to each cylinder. Checked the injectors out and replaced one bad one. Put it on the reader and got two codes: P0300 and P1371

After checking everything out the car seemed to even out and run OK. It still felt like it had a small miss, but I had to get it home. I drove it evenly at about 50mph and it ran well until I slowed down and made a right turn. At that point the car died. I managed to restart it and drove it about four more miles at which point it backfired and died. I called no joy and waited for a tow. The car would still run but I did not want to do any (more) damage. Car was towed, and now it will not start. I gave up today.

The digital dash is not working correctly either. The speedo and odometer only come on if the reader is plugged into the car.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on with this thing? Like I said in a previous post, I'm more of an old Mopar guy. The computer controlled stuff gets me frustrated.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to get the details in there. Any help is appreciated.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The P0300 is a random misfire code, the P1371 is the Opti not sending a proper signal to the PCM. Hate to say it, but I'd be willing to bet its a bad Opti.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Hate to say it, but I'd be willing to bet its a bad Opti.
To add to Nick's statement, and what you said about the new looking plug wires: The previous owner may have had a tune up done in which he had the wires, plugs, cap and rotor, and very possibly the Opti replaced. If he used an aftermarket Opti then you will get the problems you are having now. Be safe and replace the Opti with a Delco unit and might want to replace the water pump since you will have it out as well. And if you don't know what plug wires he used you might want to install a new good quality set as well since you will be in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The opti was the culprit. The plug was cracked and there was a ton of corrosion inside the old opti. Plug wires were almost new delcos that I found a bill for in the glove box.

Car runs great now. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts