Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went it go to the store this morning and my '96 with the 4.3 wouldn't start
It will turn over, but wont run. I took the battery out and had it tested and its fine. I drove the car yesterday and it was fine. The CEL isn't on. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advanced!

Adam

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Have you checked things like the fuel pump fuse?

How mechanically comfortable are you?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Fuse is in the underhood fuse box by the passenger hood hinge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped out the fuse and the relay with no luck. Pretty sure the fuel pump is shot. Just had it towed to a buddies shop. Thanks for the help.

Adam

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Have you checked for spark?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried both sets of keys and both worked. Didnt check for spark, but we couldn't hear the fule pump at all,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, its definitely the fuel pump. Its getting changed out as I type too the tune of $500-$1000 depending how everything comes out.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Ouch, that's why most of us are DIY.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually am a DIY'er, but I just don't have the time this week. Work is crazy and I'm putting in between 12-15hrs a day. I just need it fixed and fixed right at this point.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The tank is super easy to drop so long as you can empty it.

With a lift I can not see it taking an hour and a half TOPS and that is if they find some rust and crap to deal with.

A stock pump is not expensive upgrades one with upgrade relays and wiring are under $200.

IMO $500 including a short distance tow is robbery.

·
Registered
997 Posts
All data calls for 1.8 hours on the labor. Other labor guides have it slightly higher. I have dropped the tank, and put it back up well under two hours. This was doing it on the ground, with it 1/4 full. By myself. Even on my rusted out 95 RMS, it still didn't take more than two hours. I think as of right now, I have dropped and re installed the tank on 6 of my cars. A few of them, I was just playing musical gas tanks, or installing an after market fuel pump.

You can actually get a hose down the fill tube to drain these most of the way. I have used the cheap hand pump they sell at autozone, and it worked good enough for me with an extension of hose on the output. Autozone sells a pump for $80, and I know I have seen delphi/ borg warner pumps in the same price range.

So... 2 hours labor at 80/hr($160), plus a fuel pump for $115(lets assume they mark parts up 40%), that's only $275. Now, many times the wiring is fried on these inside the sending unit, but that's only another $50, tops.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bro i bought one off ebay for 24 buck delivered !!! and dropped the tank and installed in 45 min . ofcourse between the pump getting there i unplugged the wireing harness and spaced i did it and spent a week trying to track down the "electrical problem "before realizing my mistake . shit . i'll do it for ya .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts