Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new windshield for my '92 Caprice and I found one from a '95 on Craigslist for $120.

Will any '91 thru '96 Caprice windshield fit my '92?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i wouldnt see y it wouldnt the front was virtually the same just motors and trans are diff etc

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Last windsheild I paid for was I think $230 installed at my home brand new.

IMO $120 for a used one would be a mistake.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yeah $120 is pretty high considering it still has to be installed try to talk him down

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
And windsheilds most certainly do "wear out" you may not notice how etched and crappy they get till you put a new one in their place. I would never bother with a used one unless new was not available.

When I had one installed for $230 I asked for no discounts and they had to drive 30 miles each way to do it. So yeah I think it could be donw cheaper yet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things here in Hawaii are different that what most people would think. I phoned around and the cheapest windshield installed is $380. There are none at the junkyards.
Keep in mind that the price of a total piece of crap house here is over $500K.
The up side is that land costs so much that you can buy cars here for a fraction of what you'd pay in the mainland, often free to get them removed.
I paid $800 for my 55K mile Caprice.

So I'm lucky to even find a windshield on Craigslist for $120, I was expecting $250 (plus about 4 hours to pick up).

About the compatibility, does anyone know for sure if the '95 windshield is the same as a '92?

thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
IF U WANT A DEFINETE ANSWER private message george bates automotive he has already posted on this thread but idk if he saw ur original question :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Yes the windshields will interchange. Only 92 - 96 year models.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I bought the used windshield for $110...

There's a plastic strip along the top of the front windshield on my '92 Caprice that they suggest replacing.

I'm having trouble finding that part, does anybody know where I can buy it or if it's crazy to think that I could reuse the old one?

thanks

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Well I bought the used windshield for $110...

There's a plastic strip along the top of the front windshield on my '92 Caprice that they suggest replacing.

I'm having trouble finding that part, does anybody know where I can buy it or if it's crazy to think that I could reuse the old one?

thanks
The dealer still has that item, we buy them from time to time and they usually can be reused.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, I will try to reuse it.

The dealer here said that it was discontinued. The concern I have is that I'll get the window out, see that I need the part, and then with my car immobilized take several weeks to locate the part.

I haven't found any place that will sell me the part, I just went through hell dealing with a terrible eBay company called carpartswholesale, who said they had it and that it was on the way for $14 total including shipping. They screwed me around for two weeks (said the part was shipped) and finally said they don't have that part and it was never shipped. What a company.

I did find a place (called VIP) that had the part for $55 +25 shipping, which to me is the same as saying they don't have it.

If anyone knows where I can buy that part at a reasonable price I'd appreciate the info, I've got some time before it needs to be done (June safety check).

thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update... finally getting around to putting in the replacement windshield.

Taking it out wasn't too bad, it's easy taking out cracked ones - you don't have walk on eggs like if you were saving it.

It looks like the upper reveal molding can be reused. Yesterday when I took it out it was supple being that it was super sunny high 80's. Today it's rainy (since the windshield is out) and almost cool and the reveal molding is not flexible at all, sort of like hose garden hoses get, so if I were putting it on today I'd have to warm it somehow, either by microwave (careful!!!) or by putting it on top of my tube amplifier (safer).

This guy's got it wired:
Removing a windshield can be a lot of work. See how they do it professionally. on Yahoo! Video
I have the same tool he has (the one with the short cable) but the way he's using two tools, the second with the longer blade, seems like the secret. That would make the job flow right, so I'm looking for a second tool with a longer blade.

What is that tool (long handle w/razor blade on the end) he uses to cut the bottom urethane from the inside? That would be nice to have too.

It was way, way easier to cut the urethane when the car was in the full sun and the windshield was super hot. WAY easier. Plus I sharpened the blade every few feet.

There's a funny thing on that video, maybe I missed this and everyone knows it: the guy rests his tools on top of the tires.
I guess a) you don't scratch the paint and b) customers don't drive home with your stuff. If you forget them they end up on the ground at the end of the day (just don't run over a screwdriver).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts