Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got a 95 caprice wagon and for some reason the last guy had 1 of the fans hooked straight to the fuse box. i put it back the way it should be, but the fan would not come on, neither of them. i checked both of the relays and fuses under the hood (primary and secondary fans) and they were both good, well looked good. what should i try next??:bang: i didnt get my chilton manual yet..
it overheated on me yesterday at the traffic light. it cut off. i started it up and pulled over. the coolant was boiling out of the top of the reservoir cap. i waited, opened it, and put some water in there just to get home

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Did any of the fans work with the straight wire? Have you change the thermostat? What does the water pump look like right now?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-the fans worked when rigged to the fuse box

-i put the wires back how they should be and they both came on when i pulled the temp sensor

-i havent changed the thermostat yet

-i dont think the waterpump is working because there isnt much pressure in the hoses when i squeeze the while the car is running

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
You may have answered your own question. Start pricing for a new one.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think the #1 issue of concern here is the fans, if they work when you unplug the temp sensor, replace it. Water pumps rarely fail to where they aren't pumping, 99% of the time the seals fail and they leak. It doesn't matter what the water pump is doing if the fans aren't working, unless it overheats while at speed. As for the thermostat, if it's stuck open it won't overheat. If it's it's stuck closed it will overheat, but it wouldn't boil out of the overflow since the coolant would not be flowing to the radiator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i checked the thermostat and it wasnt even in there! so i installed a new one. i let it run about 20 minutes and the gauge went up to about half. when i bought the car last couple weeks ago, i barely moved from cold. i checked the heat of both hoses and they were both hot but it didnt feel like a lot of pressure. i and going to pressure test the system next

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Pressure testing will only tell you where leaks are, good if you've been losing coolant, useless if you haven't. The new thermostat will make it warm up a lot faster, and probably make it run better, but will not cure the overheating issue. Did you replace the temp sensor yet?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Btw, is that your Lincoln in the avatar pic? I'll need to change my shorts if I look at it any longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
naw that linc isnt mine. i still have some work b4 she looks like that.

but im not losing coolant and i replaced the cap today. i also replaced the temp sensor but now when i unplug it the car shuts off??! i dont know what the deal is.

i got new thermostat, sensor, and cap.
btw, there wasnt a thermostat in there when i got the car, so its BEEN overheating

1 - 9 of 9 Posts