Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and Thanks for the good information in this forum.
I'm a green horn, newbee to posting, (very first time) so please forgive me if something is wrong.
I recently bought what was supposed to be a '95 Impala SS LT1 engine and 4L60E trans. for my street rod project. When I saw the (4) O2 sensors, I suspected it was a '96 and, as I started disecting the wiring, it became obvious that is was, in fact, OBD2.
My questions for the experts are: Were there any '95's that were OBD2 compliant? When I asked the seller if it might be '96, he said there was a mid-year change. Is this true? I asked for the VIN and the one he provided was '95.
Thanks again,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
A simple test would be to take it to an Auto Zone and see if their diagnostic tool can pull any codes from the PCM.

All of the auto manufacturers were required to be OBD-II compliant by the 1996 model year. It was not uncommon for some early to mid 95's to start coming out with the OBD-II system. I have even seen an OBD-II port on a 94 Ford Pickup as well, and was able to link to the ECM in that truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the immediate response! Also, I was unaware that Auto Zone could connect to a bare PCM. That also might be useful. Thanks again,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
They cannot connect to a bare PCM. They would use the OBD-II computer diagnostic test port, usually under the steering column.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was aware that '95's had the OBD2 ALDL plug and were actually OBD1. Mine has all the OBD2 wiring and sensors also. I don't have the engine, trans, or wiring installed in the car yet. I'm currently building a stand alone wiring harness for engine and trans. I think I'll go ahead and downgrade now to the OBD1 PCM if I can find one. Thanks, Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Some 95 f-bodies came with OBD2 plugs but not b-bodies and the 4-O2s is a dead giveaway for OBD2.

I suspect you were given the wrong VIN. Who knows though maybe the engine/wiring was swapped at some point, people do some amazingly stupid stuff.

The OBD1 pcm plugs right into that harness, only change you need to make is to go ahead and get the OBD1 knock sensors.

I run an OBD1 pcm in my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I think I'm being jerked around by the seller who "sells hundreds of these" LT1's.
I'll just go ahead with the OBD1 PCM if I can find one.
Anyone have a OBD1 PCM for sale?
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I'm being jerked around by the seller who "sells hundreds of these" LT1's.
I'll just go ahead with the OBD1 PCM if I can find one.
Anyone have a OBD1 PCM for sale?
Thanks, Steve

YES.... I HAVE ONE FOR SALE... $100 FOR IT

BUT THE PROBLEM IS, IT IS CHIPPED AND WAS REPROGRAMMED FOR A BUNCH OF STUFF....

IF YOUR CAR IS STOCK IT PROBABLY WONT EVEN RUN THE CAR...

WAS PROGRAMMED FOR 28 LB INJECTORS, 58 MM THROTTLE BODY, A LIGHT CAM, SHIT LIKE THAT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Obd2?

I have yet to see an OBD2 95 SS. The best thing to do is go to the local GM dealer with your VIN and they can tell you right away at the parts desk. You can always walk in and ask about factory PCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts