Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with the digital speedometer, it goes on and off while driving, I've tried to find any fuses or wiring that was loose, does anybody have any ideas? Do i need to replace it or is it something simple? Anybody with any experience with the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
try www.modelelectronics.com it will be an exchange....program......there about 600 dlls...i work for a chevy dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
You will have to replace it.
Hit up
www.impalassforum.com and go to the for sale/wanted section and ask if one if for sale.
You can also run a search and it will confirm that it needs replaced.

This happens in these cars.

DO NOT pay $600 for something like stated below, and do not go to the Chevy Dealer!!!
Im telling you...its a cheap and easy fix, but your odometer will be off. I doubt thats important to you though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
You do NOT have to replace the cluster. What happens is, the circuits on the back of the cluster tend to get hot and melts the solders. All you have to do is re-solder the circuits and you are go to go. Check this link:

http://members.aol.com/RCAPSS/fix.htm

HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
it's in the cluster itself. You will have to replace it. I would check around the wrecking yards for a used one, because they are kinda pricey .

·
Registered
12 Posts
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopdisplaycategories.asp
Go under electrical, they have a resistor fix. VERY common with these speedos. Also, taking it out and cleaning the connectors with rubbing alcohol can help.

No need for a new speedo right now, and AVOID THE DEALER AT ALL COSTS.

If you really, really, really need one, either try ebay or other forums, or do the Camaro Cluster Mod.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^spoken wisely smokey...

those speedos are easy to find at the junkyard, out in cali anyway, cause everyone wants the analog Z28 mod...

if you are unsure of your soldering abilities, take it to a mom and pops electronic store with the directions for the resistor fix and they will usually do it for $25 to $40... i picked an extra cluster up from the junkyard just to test my soldering skills on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
see below for a step by step
Careful with the gear selector indicator. Don't stretch the line. You can unhook the spring first and then unhook the thin cable from the plastic indicator.
Good repairs- Dave -
you must reassemble the site address. take out spaces
www . mottl . us /Digital%20Dash%20Turns%20On%20and%20Off.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
You do NOT have to replace the cluster. What happens is, the circuits on the back of the cluster tend to get hot and melts the solders. All you have to do is re-solder the circuits and you are go to go. Check this link:

AOL Lifestream : Login

HTH
I tried to bring up that link without success. Can you help me figure out how to access it? I am hoping it will be helpful in figuring out what to do to get my speedometer working again.

ED S. [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having problems with the digital speedometer, it goes on and off while driving, I've tried to find any fuses or wiring that was loose, does anybody have any ideas? Do i need to replace it or is it something simple? Anybody with any experience with the car?
Take it apart and clean it the contacts get dirt. Try cleaning it youve got nothing to lose. Mifined the same thing then more instruments stop working finally i cleaned it now its works fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts