Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. My Caprice is cranking a lot before i can get it to finally start and when I took it to the shop they said that the distributor is corroded real bad and it needs to be replaced but they want to charge me over $700 and I'm pretty sure that's way too much. I want to restore it because I'm just getting out of school and making some money but is it worth it? i just put in a new transmission and radiator and i love this care but i'm afraid there's going to be too much wrong with it to restore. any advice?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I need mileage, condition, pics if any, and a list of ALL you have done to the car besides whats mentioned. If you are going into the opti and have not chaged out the water pump, best bet is to replace it while you do the opti (dist) since the water pump much be removed anyway, should NOT cost you any additional labor since as I mentioned the pump must be removed to access the optispark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's got about 160k miles and some body work needs to be done but i'm willing to fork over for that. i know i can get the dist done for cheaper back home but home is fort lauderdale, FL from fort wayne, IN and i just need to make sure i get home ok

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Here is my problem with them telling you it needs an opti, it sounds more like a fuel pressure regulator losing or not holding pressure after it sits, that would cause it to crank before finally starting. The opti being bad would make your car run very poor or not at all. I would ask for a fuel pressure test before anything else, that will prove/disprove and fuel related parts being the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts