Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but when i turn the air on it stops overheating. i have changed a temp sensor in front of the water pump still does the same thing can someone help with other info

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does the radiator fan come on when the A/C is off? Does it come on when the A/C is on? Sometimes there are two circuits for turning on the radiator fan. You could have a problem with one of them. I would start by looking for broken or damaged wires and checking the fuses both under the dash and under the hood.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine does the same thing but doesnt go into red or any lights come one, but as soon as i hit the a/c button it goes back down, im not to worried about it, just while sittin in a traffic jam or somethin i'll just hit the a/c button.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you have to electric fans you need to ensure operation of both. Unplug MAF sensor, start car. this will set CEL, and kick both fans on. If one doesn't come on, either wiring is bad, fan motor is bad, or relay/fuse is bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine does the same thing but doesnt go into red or any lights come one, but as soon as i hit the a/c button it goes back down, im not to worried about it, just while sittin in a traffic jam or somethin i'll just hit the a/c button.
Smart guy! Hit that button! Hell, how busy can you be waiting for a light to turn green?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your car has two temp sensors.

You changed the one for the PCM, and not the gauge.

How's your coolant level?

What about the condition of the thermostat?

If you did remove and then add coolant, did you bleed the system?

LT1"s are notorious for overheating when there is air in the system...

Stewart
I am almost certain that the sensor on the water pump is the sensor for the gauge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your car has two temp sensors.

You changed the one for the PCM, and not the gauge.

How's your coolant level?

What about the condition of the thermostat?

If you did remove and then add coolant, did you bleed the system?

LT1"s are notorious for overheating when there is air in the system...

Stewart
Bleed the system? What is this, the 18th century?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am almost certain that the sensor on the water pump is the sensor for the gauge.
NO, the head temp sensor on the back side of the passenger head controlls the temp guage.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bleed the system? What is this, the 18th century?
Yes, bleed the system. Air in the heads = hot heads, not good.

18th century? My catapult has an LT1. I launch rice riders to the moat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
there is a little nipple near the "top" hose on the engine that you can turn loose to let air out, i was told to get the car up to temperature and then start loosening that nipple while also watching out to not get blasted with hot coolant, apparently its like bleeding the brakes, i might be wrong, hopefully someone else will back me up on this :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You want someone to back you up as you give advice 2 months down the road from the post?.......LOL.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
That explains why we have not heard from him in a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts