Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the folks here that are way more knowledgeable than I....

I am thinking about buying a 95 9c1 that's listed on CL as a "drag car". I'm not too concerned with anything in particular, except for the fact that it has been sitting for a few years unused, and I have not had good experience with vehicles that have sat for more than a year. My question is, how well do these cars hold up to lack of use?? Am I just asking for shit after lousy shit to break/fall apart when I awake it from it's slumber? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! As well as any pointers to look out for when I go to take a look...

Here's how the listing reads:

1995 caprice 9C1
LT1 Engine 122k
TH400 built transmission with ratchet shifting
3600 Stall eagle convertor
built rear end with eaton posi 3.73 gears
Long tube Headers
2.5inch dual exhaust with mufflers
Air intake
PCM tuned

The car runs great and starts right up. I start it every couple of months but havent used it in two years so its time too sell it. It does need on brake line repaired as it just recently broke.

Sad part is, one of his previous posts mentioned a quarter mile time of like, in the 14's if I remember correctly. And before you ask, I'm not looking to be a drag racer, just want a B-body and a 9c1 has always been something I wanted to own, the price is pretty cheap, that's why I'm looking to pick it up.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
From the list of mods, I would guess he knows NOTHING about performance, TH400? Wtf? 14's is what those cars run stock. I would only get it if it's less than $1500, as long as it's the factory 8.5 disc rear end and not some damn ford 9 inch or something.

·
Registered
997 Posts
They ran a corrected 15.0 bone stock.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
So the 3.73's gave it that little bit, the rest was useless.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LOL, I remember when I first read the ad, and I was thinking that it must've done pretty good....then I saw the E.T., and thought, oh, that's why he doesn't race it anymore..

but there was a lot of weirdness with it, the th400, I thought the stall converter was high, and it just seems like he was just like all the people who come on here thinking they know what's what and you all have a good time laughing at him...haha..and also why I always put "drag car" in quotations lol

and funny you should mention it, it's listed for $1500, it's been there for a bit so I could prolly get it down...

I myself don't care about the drag strip, I've just always wanted a 9c1 since I was in highschool, and it's cheap and low miles from what I'm used to seeing, just was a bit gun shy about it sitting for so long, my last 2 vehicles had sat for more than a year and I spent thousands of dollars making shit right...

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and the year is perfect, in NY, 96 and newer has to pass inspection tests so that there are no CEL notices, no emissions ever, just a computer check. NYC I think has emissions though..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Best case scenario, you talk him down and swap a 4L60E back into it and everything is groovy. Worst case scenario... I think you can put that one together. Point is, you'll have to spend money to get it right no matter what, who knows what else he screwed up. Hopefully he left the motor alone cause he was saving for his 383 stroker LT4.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha right on, hopefully he didn't get too far into it for sure I'm a little scared it has a custom "tune" hopefully it was just for the tranny and the headers/intake, I emailed him and am waiting for pictures so I'm sure I will get some more info out of him..I'd rather put in a 4L80E in myself, I heard they were way more beefier than the 60E....how come no one here does that? They are a pretty common swap on other rides with the 60E from the factory...

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I wouldn't pay for that unless you planned use it as a shell, no telling what other raging stupidity was applied.

Far as the 4L80E, it is heavy, it is parasitic, it cost a boat load to build, believe you have to hammer the tunnel to make it fit, and the 4L60E is PLENTY capable if you choose an actually good builder as opposed to a popular one.
The one in my car is over 7 years old and I had it built when I had 360hp and low 13s in mind, been running 11s since 2007.

The 4L60 gets bad reputation from bad builder and the retards who defend bad builders.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
There is also the 4L65, not sure what it would take to adapt, but I can't imagine it would be that tough.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The "65" parts are hardly worth the trouble. They have not proven to be an upgrade. The parts they "upgraded", are rarely the parts that fail.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on, thanks for all the good info, I'm sure no matter what, I will be back for more, sooner or later I'm getting into a 9c1 so I know I have lots to learn. I'd prefer to get the learning out of the way before I get myself into one. I find it's the best way to buy something, learn as much as you can before you get it, not play catch up afterwards..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They pop up on craigslist all the time here, a lot of the time I'll see ones for $2500 completely rebuilt and ready to roll, sometimes with new paint even.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually, around here, it's either the 80's ones, no disrespect, just not my style, or the early 90's ones and I prefer the open rear wheel....all others I'm looking for have super high miles, and beat to hell. There's a 94 that looks like it was lightly breathed on, basics, intake and exhaust only, that still has both spotlights, which I totally dig, so that is my second place thought. The only think I'm not a huge fan of on the 94's is the rear quater window, and I can't remember when the dash switched, whether it was 04 or 95, but I like the latter....I dunno, I'm not in a huge hurry, I've waited this long, I have no problems waiting for "the one" lol

·
Registered
997 Posts
The dash switched with the introduction of the LT1.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

got some pictures, and this is what he said when he sent them..

it runs awesome and starts right up. The car is in great shape. it does has a 1inch hole in the passenger floor pan and needs one of the brake lines repaired.
Its a 13.59-13.72 car depending on what tires u run. I do have drag lites front and rear with hoosier slicks front and back for sale that are perfect for the car for $1000 if u dont want them.
i do have a title in my name i u are interested in putting it on the road but it does have a built th400 with a eagle 3600rpm stall and a built rearend with eaton posi and 3.73 gears.
Might need some window work...if i remember right some of the windows dont slide up and down on the tracks very good

Looks to be in some decent shape....I asked for an engine pic so I think I will save judgment for that, if it looks to be hacked up under there then I know I will walk away....could be worth a proper build though..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The hole in the floor and the brake line thing scare me, not to mention the missing headlight... He's trying to be 04detroitLS

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
You know there is really nothing special about the 9C1, you could look for a civilian car.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why do the hole in the floor and the brakeline scare you? I know floor rot are somewhat common on the 9c1's, and rotting break/fuel lines are pretty common in the NE when shit sits....especially when the owners are cheap and use steel instead of stainless steel...

The missing headlight...yeah I thought of 04DetroitLS too, :giggle: but I know it's not his road car anymore, it was his DD up until 08, then he took it off the road (didn't register it with DMV anymore, didn't take it for inspections anymore, prolly stoped insuring it) to go drag racing with, but he hasn't been in 2 years so he just decided to sell it instead of keeping it sit.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know there is really nothing special about the 9C1, you could look for a civilian car.
I know, I know there's no real difference....but, I dunno, in my head, there is lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts