Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys i work with (he's not so computer savvy, so im posting this for him) has a 94 Impala SS and is having some issues with his left front power window. We wanted to take the door panel off so we could do an inspection of it and see if its just his motor that died or if there is other issues. However, we do not know how to take off the door panel, and as he takes EXTREMELY good care of his baby,he doesn't want to fly by the seat of his pants.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
You are wise to ask.... these panels are very fragile and very rare. First look around and find the screws.....on the grey door pull there are 2 long screws, these are found on each end behind the cap of the door pull. To the right behind the door handle you will find 1 screw. On the armrest (where your fingers would grab if you use the arm rest) there are 2 screws. Finally at the lower portion of the door panel inside the storage area (next to the door light) there is a single screw.

Now, the control panel for seat/window controls is only held by one clip attached to the front portion of that control bezel.....it simply pops up from the front and the real follows by sliding out exposing a few connectors, unplug them. No worries they only go in/out in one place and cant be confused.

The control panel for the lock/unlock has to be guided out after you remove the screw behind the chrome door handle. It should come up and then out exposing a connector, unplug it.

Now comes the tricky part, you will need some sort of thin tool to carefully remove the plastic clips without breaking the door panel. I use a set from Cornwell Tools made just for door panels. Using Whatever tool you can get a hold of, slide it between the door panel edge and the door....slowly sliding it around till you feel it catch on a clip, pop out the clips (total of 6 clips/retainers 2 on the bottom, 2 on the right and 2 on the left....they are pretty much evenly spaced.

Once these thing's are out of your way your power mirror and door pocket light will still be plugged in. Use an upward motion to help the door panel come off the door and expose the connectors for light/mirror. unplug and begin inspecting your problem.

To install, its basically a reverse procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You!

I really appreciate the quick response to the thread. Steve (the owner of the car) also is extremely greatful.

Now i get to help him diagnose it :biggrin:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Just take your time with the door panel....replacements from GM are long gone and the used ones are far and few between.....if you can find one it will be several hundred dollars worth for just one used panel...at least thats what I have seen on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.
We managed to get the door panel off without breaking anything. However, someone previously removed the door panel and broke a couple of clips but we found replacements that will work. Can you provide any help on the re-installation of the lower clip retainers *little metal black piece which holds the clip to the panel*? Whoever previously removed the door just glued them in place.

After some diagnosis, we have come to the conclusion that the motor is seized up. *Got power coming in, good ground, etc.*

If you could also provide further instructions on removal/installation of the window motor, we would greatly appreciate it.

G

·
Thanks again.
We managed to get the door panel off without breaking anything. However, someone previously removed the door panel and broke a couple of clips but we found replacements that will work. Can you provide any help on the re-installation of the lower clip retainers *little metal black piece which holds the clip to the panel*? Whoever previously removed the door just glued them in place.
PBFoots on here told me that he plastic welded his broken tabs when the metal clips broke off. I tried this and it worked great. I did it with a cheapy Harbor Freight Tools set up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:smile:eek:ooh i am totally loving this information right now, you see this is why i belong and love forums all the information you could possibly use is right here about your car and others

1 - 8 of 8 Posts