Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions. I have a 94 sedan limited. The abs light is on and the abs doesnt work. I just did the front end brakes-pads, bearings, etc. I need to get it fixed because this boat in the snow is horrible while braking and i need all the help i can get. Also when i tried to run a engine code with the jumper the codes dont come out. Both of the fans turn on and the check engine light stays off. If i take the jumper out the fans turn off and the check engine light comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
most likeley its a wheel speed sensor im pretty sure these cars only have one on the rear located on the diffrential thats usually the problem child. I havent messed with this yet on my car so im not sure exactly how there set up but based on my experinces with other cars in the field this is usually the case

the check engine might have been set by jumpering the DLC just pull the battery power for about a minute and hook it back up should be gone.

Hope that helps or at least gives you a jumping off point

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup

Im pretty sure the rear speed sensor is toward the center of the differential. I didnt check it out yet due to the fresh snow we just got( to lazy and cold to check it out). Hopefully that is the problem though. And on the check engine light, what i meant was when i tried a diagnostic. You do that with the car not running but the key in on position. The engine light will be on with the rest of the dummy lights. I had a 94 caprice and i think it may have had a similar problem although i dont remember. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
still not sure i get what you mean about the cel when the car is first turned on all lights come on for a short period of time as a bulb check function

If these cars are OBD II which i think they should be not sure again luckliy i have had my a car a year and never had to touch the thing but if the car does have OBD II you will need some form of code reader they have way to many parimeters to display through the dash no matter what any book or online source tells you.

or auto zone can read it just rember the componet setting the light may not be the problem what made the componet set the light off might be.

for instance if it is the speed sensor replacing the speed sensor may not help if the wires got cut or somthing farther up the line etc.

Had alot of pepole i know get mad cause auto zone told them it was waht ever the computer said and that didnt fix it. OBD II is digansotic tool not a diagnostic solution.

i will be more help in the coming weeks as my car is going from family hauler to ultimate sleeper so i will be tearing into everyhting in this car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

94 and 95 i believe are obd I. In the manual it states that you do a test of the pcm with a jumper under the steering column. When you do this the key is in the on position without starting the car. Whether or not there is a problem with the pcm a code is supposed to flash. You find this by counting the flashes with the check engine light. When i jump it the light comes on and stays on while the primary and secondary fans come on. Im not too worried about it because the car is running fine. I was just hoping that a code would pinpoint where my problem is with the abs. I guess i will just have to find somebody with the diagnostic tool. Thanks again and good luck with your car.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You will need to find someone whom has a diagnostic tool that reads ABS codes. Norman code scanners do not read ABS or AIR BAG fault codes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you cant run jumper CEL on after a 93. Need special reader for ABS. ABS sensor in rear differential could have tons of metal on it. same for the fronts. Could have damaged the front sensors. You can unhook them and measure the resistance of each sensor. IIRC accepted values should be on ISsF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts