Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since day one when I bought my 06 impala ss I've. always used 93 is there any big advantage?I know it burn cleaner from what ive herd and I get decent mgh seeing that I always stomping my gas pedal,but what else am I benefiting by using premium gas?

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
What is the factory recomendation for your engine ?
Octane rating
or octane number is a standard measure of the performance of a motor or aviation fuel. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high-compression engines that generally have higher performance. In contrast, fuels with low octane numbers (but high
) are ideal for diesel engines. Use of gasoline with less octane numbers may lead to the problem of
.[1]

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
if running higher than specified octane helps performance/mpg then there is a problem causing detonation on the recommended fuel.

When I was young and dumb I "believed" I could tell a difference with 93 octane, now I know better.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Use the recommended octane and lucas fuel system cleaner or similar at least a few times a year. That's your best bet for keeping the fuel system clean. Running a higher octane fuel than what you are tuned for will not net you much better power/mpg if at all. Everything fuel and ignition related will be incorrect

All your doing is dumping cash in the trash

·
Banned
97 Posts
if running higher than specified octane helps performance/mpg then there is a problem causing detonation on the recommended fuel.

When I was young and dumb I "believed" I could tell a difference with 93 octane, now I know better.
Use the recommended octane and lucas fuel system cleaner or similar at least a few times a year. That's your best bet for keeping the fuel system clean. Running a higher octane fuel than what you are tuned for will not net you much better power/mpg if at all. Everything fuel and ignition related will be incorrect

All your doing is dumping cash in the trash

Not true

The blend of the fuel matters too..

i.e 91 octane may still be on the left over summer blend while 87 is on the winter blend.

Winter blend is a mileage killer. 4 to 8 mpg loss depending on the car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not true

The blend of the fuel matters too..

i.e 91 octane may still be on the left over summer blend while 87 is on the winter blend.

Winter blend is a mileage killer. 4 to 8 mpg loss depending on the car.
:WTF: are you sure about that... Is that true for all state or only for some???

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
:WTF: are you sure about that... Is that true for all state or only for some???
The stats I am not sure about. But, the fuel blend statement is correct for most northern states. Not sure about down south though.

I have actually been getting 2-3mpg more than I was this past summer and I have not done anything to my engine. Still confused as to why as I haven't slowed down much if at all.

·
Banned
97 Posts
The stats I am not sure about. But, the fuel blend statement is correct for most northern states. Not sure about down south though.

I have actually been getting 2-3mpg more than I was this past summer and I have not done anything to my engine. Still confused as to why as I haven't slowed down much if at all.
I see a huge loss by 5-8mpg with the winter blend. So the extra 20 cents per gallon is worth it.

289 miles a tank vs 408 miles a tank according to the computer.
I could probably get about 350 miles out of a tank under real life conditions.

So for $3.40 more per tank it makes it worth it.

I been using it for the last 2500 miles.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ A clean running engine (Trottle body, fuel injectors, exhaust, and EGR valve) will see better results than "most" cars running 93. Just saying the majority of your fuel mielage depends on the efficiency of your engine and of course the driver over the octane of fuel used.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Lets just say you loose 6.5 mpg. 17gal x 6.5 mpg = 110.5 miles.
running 93 is gonna cost you an extra $3.40. 17gal x $0.20 = $3.40

$3.40 for 110.5 miles is worth it to me! I am tuned for 91 (not sold around here), and I mistakenly ran 87 my last tank... I don't know about you guys, but I DO get worse mileage with 87...

I believe that to be worth the extra few dollars

And it could be possible if you are always running at WOT, you could be pulling a descent amount of KR, running higher octane could help fight KR. But I recon if you want to benefit from it, get tuned for it!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
And it could be possible if you are always running at WOT, you could be pulling a descent amount of KR, running higher octane could help fight KR. But I recon if you want to benefit from it, get tuned for it!
Agreed I wouldn't run 93 unless tuned for it. I am on stock tune therefor running 87.

So that is why you were also getting horrible gas mileage?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I have been getting over 20 since my last fill up, I doubt the seafoam gave me over 15 mpgs since I'm averaging 24 driving aggressive.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Lets just say you loose 6.5 mpg. 17gal x 6.5 mpg = 110.5 miles.
running 93 is gonna cost you an extra $3.40. 17gal x $0.20 = $3.40

$3.40 for 110.5 miles is worth it to me! I am tuned for 91 (not sold around here), and I mistakenly ran 87 my last tank... I don't know about you guys, but I DO get worse mileage with 87...

I believe that to be worth the extra few dollars

Tunned for 91 octane 24-25MPG is city. Combined is the 28-30mpg range

cruise control turned off! (in the off mode on the on/off switch.)

With it turned off it consumes less gas for me.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Loss of 10MPG for city mileage. Now I'm going to have to find a station that still has some left over. let me make sure I did not turn on cruise control.

edit: just checked and it was in the "ON" position. damn it's easy to toggle without noticing

·
Registered
173 Posts
Loss of 10MPG for city mileage. Now I'm going to have to find a station that still has some left over. let me make sure I did not turn on cruise control.

edit: just checked and it was in the "ON" position. damn it's easy to toggle without noticing
Could you clarify? What engine do you have and are you saying just having the cruise control on but not using it kills mileage?
Also, what part of the country are you in? In Minnesota (definitely winter blend fuel!) I get 15-17 in town with the 3.5 Impala and 16-18 with a 3.4 Monte Carlo. This is with a lot of 30-45 mph zones and stoplights.

In summer both cars get about 19-20 for the same driving. Just trying to figure out what would make such a drastic difference in mpg.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Could you clarify? What engine do you have and are you saying just having the cruise control on but not using it kills mileage?
Also, what part of the country are you in? In Minnesota (definitely winter blend fuel!) I get 15-17 in town with the 3.5 Impala and 16-18 with a 3.4 Monte Carlo. This is with a lot of 30-45 mph zones and stoplights.

In summer both cars get about 19-20 for the same driving. Just trying to figure out what would make such a drastic difference in mpg.
California uses winter and summer fuels

1 - 20 of 23 Posts