Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for a good set of roof rack and basket combo. Has anyone had or used any before and can anyone recommend? I have a set of thules for my wife's cars but it's to narrow for the impala. Pics, ideas would help me a lot here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would recommend getting a small pickup truck

·
Registered
246 Posts
Got an SUV already but I don't always drive it. I'm looking for something that I can just put on without any hassle
I'm just afraid for the paint on your roof

·
Registered
144 Posts
When we were looking into this we decided an actual rack would be too costly and risky for damage. Our solution does not allow for bikes or anything, but if you just want to have more luggage for a trip, we purchased a Rightline soft roof carrier with a padded mat to protect the paint. We also got two duffel bags that will exactly fill up the carrier. Unfortunately, the COVID lockdown has canceled our big annual vacation to Northern Michigan, so I can't report on how well it worked or if the paint was well protected.
I am in a unique position on the paint thing as my used car was rusting between the windshield and the sunroof. I did the work to remove the rust and paint myself, so it already looks like crap. But it stopped the rust from damaging the windshield and/or sunroof.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When we were looking into this we decided an actual rack would be too costly and risky for damage. Our solution does not allow for bikes or anything, but if you just want to have more luggage for a trip, we purchased a Rightline soft roof carrier with a padded mat to protect the paint. We also got two duffel bags that will exactly fill up the carrier. Unfortunately, the COVID lockdown has canceled our big annual vacation to Northern Michigan, so I can't report on how well it worked or if the paint was well protected.
I am in a unique position on the paint thing as my used car was rusting between the windshield and the sunroof. I did the work to remove the rust and paint myself, so it already looks like crap. But it stopped the rust from damaging the windshield and/or sunroof.
I've seen the padded racks before I always thought that heavy duty nylon was to rough for the clear coat. FYI, with what's going on in the world I'm in no way traveling on Vacation soon but that's why I'm looking around to see what's best for these cars ahead. I've also seen the soft cargo carrier only and wonder if that could work?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've also seen the soft cargo carrier only and wonder if that could work?
Since I am on mandatory half time employment right now (also thanks to COVID lockdown), I will try to find the time to hook our soft cargo carrier up and drive around a bit as a test. I just have to work my way through the 800 chores around the house my wife wants me to do first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I am on mandatory half time employment right now (also thanks to COVID lockdown), I will try to find the time to hook our soft cargo carrier up and drive around a bit as a test. I just have to work my way through the 800 chores around the house my wife wants me to do first.
Lol unfortunately for me I've been working none stop 12hr days since February. 72 hr weeks and all the stores close either by 8pm or 6pm so I really don't get a chance to go out and see products in person!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been using a Yakima system for years and it has worked great. I use it for ski box, paddle boards, and have carried 4 bikes up there.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using a Yakima system for years and it has worked great. I use it for ski box, paddle boards, and have carried 4 bikes up there.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Which model do you have? I know they go by part or model number

1 - 13 of 13 Posts