Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 8th generation Impala has very ugly side view mirrors in my opinion. They are triangular shaped and it appeared GM was trying to style them but failed. Plus the car is big and side small mirrors just look goofy. Its one of the few exterior details I don't like about this Impala. On the 7th generation the side view mirrors were huge and it made changing lanes easy. I have owned both a 7th and 8th generation Impala so I know. The 8th generation should have had big side mirrors that folded in. The only thing I like about the small mirrors is that its easier parking next to posts/poles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
um, ok... i dont see them as a problem.. if i was complaining about being able to see it would be the HUGE blind spot on the passanger side. i guess it's my size, but when you look right the door piller / front seat head rest is dead in the way, and when you look over you right shoulder that B? piller is in the way.

over all i dont have a problem with the mirrors, other than the heated parts sucks on mine or doesnt work at all... not sure which lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Mirrors were never one of my complaints on the car either. They functioned for me. Folding/breakaway would have been nice, but I am seeing more and more cars that no longer have that feature.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
I don't see a problem with the side mirrors. Most of the time I use the rear view mirror to change lanes and of course a quick look. Reason I use the rear view mirror is bcuz GM made a huge rear windshield. I say bigger than most midsize vehicles. Something like a soccer mom van comparison :eek:k3:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I haven't used an 8th gen but I always thought that those mirrors looked tiny and out of place, even if just styling wise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The 8th generation Impala has very ugly side view mirrors in my opinion. They are triangular shaped and it appeared GM was trying to style them but failed. Plus the car is big and side small mirrors just look goofy. Its one of the few exterior details I don't like about this Impala. On the 7th generation the side view mirrors were huge and it made changing lanes easy. I have owned both a 7th and 8th generation Impala so I know. The 8th generation should have had big side mirrors that folded in. The only thing I like about the small mirrors is that its easier parking next to posts/poles.
Concur But they figure in big to how the car blows through the air.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
Yeah I have to agreed with OP, when I first got the car it was hard to see out and it use to bother me cause they're small and plus I hate too that they're not foldable now i'm used to it driving it over a year but when I drive other people cars and get back in mine it start to bother me all over again, LOL.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
The mirrors are a little awkward but coming from a 92 supra they are not bad at all but compared to my old 84 cj7 jeep they are horrible. Just depends what your used too.

Even after looking at these huge mirrors all day at work in the heavy equipment the impalas mirrors still don't bother me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They are bigger than mine! I do wish they would fold however, I have replaced several mirrors on our patrol cars from the guys knocking them off on poles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2007 impala. I hate the side view mirrors. They are small and don't fold. Anywhere I can get the pair that fold?or customize them so they can fold? Or a interchangeable side view mirror from another car.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This is another design flaw with the 8th gen impalas. The side mirrors should be more rectangular and less triangular. I have almost crashed into people a couple of times, while changing lanes because of this. I think GM was just being cheap with the amount of glass used in the mirror, just like how the rear defogger only defogs half the rear glass.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I think the size and design was more form over function than cost savings. BUT, non folding???? That was inexusable in my opinion. That is just cost savings...

·
Registered
598 Posts
... BUT, non folding???? That was inexusable in my opinion. That is just cost savings...
I agree. I don't have any issues using them, however. I wonder how many actually take the time to set them all up properly?

The right way is to start with the rear view mirror, have someone stand behind the car and move from the middle over to one side. As they begin to disappear about 1/2 of their body from the rear view mirror, 1/2 of their body appears on the inside edge of the side view side mirror about a 1/2 body. That way there are much smaller blind spots, but no matter what, *always* use the side mirrors *and* look over your shoulder... there is a good 1/4 car long blind spot (about the perfect size of a big touring motorcycle), there for nearly all car makes and models and not looking is asking for an accident to happen eventually.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To JerryPH I agree with you that you can set the mirrors properly to see more. The problems is the mirrors on the 8th gen. Impala 2006-2013 are too small for a large car. I can have them set properly and still get too many blind spots. I had a 2004 Impala that had huge mirrors, almost pick up truck size, and they were fantastic. Very easy to use since I could see great out of them. Very little blind spots. The only thing I like, I mean only, is the 8th gen. mirrors are small so it makes parking easier in tight spots. Not sure what anybody else prefers but I would rather have huge, even ugly looking, side view mirrors as opposed to small ones. Why auto makers try to style side view mirrors for looks over safety and function baffles me. I wish there was some sort of law requiring every vehicle to have side view mirrors you could easily use and see out of.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I think that they also make them smaller for noise reasons (air noise) and even for aerodynamic reasons - smaller, better shaped mirrors will cause less air-flow noise and less resistance. I don't think that it's strictly for looks...

Personally, I don't have any issues with them - they are about the exact same size as the mirrors on my 94 Lumina and my 2005 LaCrosse (the two other cars I currently own). They work just fine for me. If they were larger, than people would complain about how "noisy" they are or how ugly they are!

·
Registered
110 Posts
this is one of things that bothers me about my 2012 impala too. i had a 2003 impala and they were huge and made lane changes easy. my 04 monte carlo had smaller mirrors but were still good. the 2012 impala they leave out a lot of area i used to use to make lane changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too have been looking for other mirrors, I just got my Impala about a month ago and it's been too many close calls from it. My father and I are looking into maybe DTS or Lucerne mirrors due to the generous size and the turn signals in the mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I don't understand why everyone has issues with the mirrors. Maybe it's just what you are used to. I never have an issue changing lanes, but then again the mirrors on my last few cars were basically the same size, so I guess I'm just used to it. You'll adjust...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts