Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I drove a 2018 Impala Premiere with about 10K on the clock. The car seems to be all correct, meaning not previously wrecked or otherwise fooled with. I was pretty surprised that the performance, specifically acceleration, was inferior to my 2014 Limited LTZ. It was slower (?!?). Same freeway on-ramp, same start point, same pedal to the floor scenario. The 2018 was noticeably slower. I guess I was (naiively) expecting comparable performance from the same drivetrain.

I thought the 9th Gen would be an improvement over, or at least comparable to, my 2014. Anyone else make a similar observation or have a similar experience?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure it is. Both cars are completely factory stock and have the direct-injected 3.6 liter V6 with 6 speed automatic. I was led to believe the Premiere is the new name for the LTZ, meaning the package/performance is the same, just the name changed.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Are the 9th gens maybe just heavier cars? Or do they maybe just seem slower becuase they are quieter inside? Or because they ride smoother? I haven't driven a 9th gen, but from what I've read, they are quieter and smoother than the 8th gens. Did you find that to be the case?

I know that they are rated the same as the 3.6L in the 9th gens in terms of HP and torque.

I've just found that sometimes a car can *seem* slower just because it's quiter and smoother. Not saying that is for sure the case here, but just something to keep in mind. Or, of course, if they are significantly heavier, that could impact performance too.

Lastly, I suppose the trans could be tuned significantly different as well, which could impact performance.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The curb weight of my 2012 Impala LTZ was 3,649 pounds.

The curb weight of my 2014 Impala 2LTZ (V-6) was 3,881 pounds.

The 9th generation Impala LTZ is quieter and smoother to drive than the 8th general Impala models. This may contribute to the feeling that the 9th generation is slower to accelerate.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well you can compare the two cars here:
2018 Chevrolet Impala Premier 3.6L V-6 (since November 2017 for North America ) specs review
2012 Chevrolet Impala LTZ (since mid-year 2011 for North America ) specs review

You can click the compare button and actually see the info overlapped. Seems like the 8th gen is slightly faster, but not by much. Only difference I can see is it has a lower final drive ratio and it is a couple hundred pounds lighter.

I attached a screen shot of the acceleration comparison and 1/4 mile info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
What are the engine options on the 9th gen?

On the 2018 Impala - the 2.5L 4-cylinder engine is standard on the LS and LT models. The 3.6L 6-cylinder engine is standard on the Premier model.

When I purchased my 2014 Impala 2LTZ - the 4-cylinder could be ordered with the LTZ model trim.

I’m not sure about other years of the 9th generation Impala.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The curb weight of my 2012 Impala LTZ was 3,649 pounds.

The curb weight of my 2014 Impala 2LTZ (V-6) was 3,881 pounds.
<rhetoric>How did they go up in weight going from w-body to epsilon2?

All I can figure is that the guy they brought in from Chrysler must have had something to do with it :)

Seriously, where did it pick up the extra ~200 pounds? The new model is narrower which should subtract weight.

My epsilon1 G6 had a steel sub-frame versus aluminum on the gen7 and gen8 Impalas. I wonder if that's a factor. But that would only account for 20 or 30 pounds.

Doug

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Have to understand there is variation even within the 8th gens in same year models. Specs from chevy to the best of my recollection had the lt with slightly faster 0-60 and quarter mile times than the ltz. Why, who knows. Seriously doubt there is enough weight difference between the two models to be a factor. Maybe a difference in the tires.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
My guess is that the 9th gen weighs a little more due to all of the extra sound-deadening and just heavier materials throughout...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts