Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I installed two magnaflow mufflers on my 07 and I love the sound... slightly more raspy than a stock vette which is just what I was going for.

When I was revving it up in park to listen to them, I noticed that the tach only reached 3500 (-ish) RPMs, and would not go any higher.

Is this normal on a stock 8th gen? Also, what top spreed is a stock 8th gen limited to? I have been looking online, but get different answers from everywhere. Some say 110, some say 140, some say 154. I know that some reviews say 154 drag limited... but I am not sure what the term "drag limited" technically means.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
3500 is your engine mgmt telling you "HEY DUMMY you're in P or N you dont need to be revving this high" ;)

as for fuel cutoff, no idea what the DoD v8s are set at, drag out refers to the top speed @ which the car can reach when the HP isnt enough to move the car any faster (due to weight/aerodynamics)

Inother words its the topspeed (adjusted for wind)

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drag out refers to the top speed @ which the car can reach when the HP isnt enough to move the car any faster (due to weight/aerodynamics)

Inother words its the topspeed (adjusted for wind)
Alright so that tells me that these cars are limited to reach speeds significatly lower than the top speed of 154, so 110-120 may be what im looking at.

The engine mgmt setting makes sense as well, but for some reason I thought that it wasnt cutting out like that before I put the exhaust on

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello all,

So I installed two magnaflow mufflers on my 07 and I love the sound... slightly more raspy than a stock vette which is just what I was going for.

When I was revving it up in park to listen to them, I noticed that the tach only reached 3500 (-ish) RPMs, and would not go any higher.

Is this normal on a stock 8th gen? Also, what top spreed is a stock 8th gen limited to? I have been looking online, but get different answers from everywhere. Some say 110, some say 140, some say 154. I know that some reviews say 154 drag limited... but I am not sure what the term "drag limited" technically means.
I haven't had the chance to find top speed on mine. How do like those Magnaflows.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had the chance to find top speed on mine. How do like those Magnaflows.
The magnaflows are great... I am not seeing anything in terms of enhanced performance, but I wasnt expecting much anyways. I love the low interior noise... After hearing them for the first time I thought that it would be annoying to drive all the time but it is just the right amount of sound.

I definitley recommend these to anyone who drives an 8th gen... Its a very inexpensive mod that maks your car sound like it should!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Top Speed

Haha i probablly coulda have predicted that, but Im talking about in a relativley stock 06-09.
I have Magnaflow Exhaust,Trifecta Power Programming and a Custom Cold Air intake on my 08 LS. I hit the Governor in mine at 151 on I-95. I only did that one time LOL. I would say right around 150 is where most of the stock ones top out at give or take a few MPH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 SS supercharger???

Hi, I'm a new member. I have a 2006 SS with 80000 miles. At rebuild time I'm considering a supercharger with a transmission rebuild .Aiming for 450 Hp.
I see theres quite a few supercharges for the 5.3 engine intended for install in trucks. Has anyone ever tried this application?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i dont know?, but was going up a slight grade om interstate #81 fooling aroud with nutcase from my area,we were runing 130mph.!! so my guess would be at least 140 mph,? on the level ,no hills no curves? i dont think our 2006-2009 ls4/5.3 impalas , have a mph limiter on them ? nutcase is a 2007, mine is a 2008...i am a senior guy and was at covette nationial event meet at englishtown drag racing in the late 1960's.... a stock fuelie or stock 2 four barrel carbs vette would run only in the 14 second range, and i think top speed was about 130 mph... our new impalas ss v8 with only 5.3/303 hp can equal and beat these times !! we also have more weight !! and these are not a sports car, but a family daily driver for me and most others.. what are your thoughts on this ?????. rkvette

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 impala SS totally stock, I topped it out at 140. That is where it is computer limited. doesn't cut out dramaticly, just won't let it go faster Like someone else said it gets right up to 135 easy, then to get up to 140 takes a bit longer, if it wasn't limited i beileve it might go 150+ but would need long strech of road. Really though with the limiter shut off you would be pretty crazy if you could hit 145-148. I felt crazy doin 140, more so then i have felt doin 160 on a R6 motorcycle. But somestime curiosity and adrenaline rushes win over intelligence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
143 and i let off pedal but it was within a mile of starting plus i was already going 60 when i started but when i left off i still had plenty of throttle left plus my computer was showingthe speed because the speedo tops out at 140

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had mine up to 149 keeping up with a mustang GT with all sorts of mods! How much does it cost to have someone else install the magnaflow exhaust?

·
Registered
58 Posts
the rev limiter can be some what bypassed when you hit 3500 rpm let go then hit it again and it will shoot to 4500 but thats it. on the other side my car only hits 115mph it says that it is limited to 115 :( i have an 06 LTZ

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've had mine up to 149 keeping up with a mustang GT with all sorts of mods! How much does it cost to have someone else install the magnaflow exhaust?
Depends on what you want to do... You get two magnaflow mufflers and have a shop swap them in, keeping your stock tail pipes and tips, for relativley cheap. Mufflers would be probablly $80 a piece, plus $150-$200 in labor costs.

I heard on LS1Tech that you can get a magnaflow catback of amazon.com for pretty short money ($4-500) and you could install that yourself with no problem.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts