Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
this winter i noticed a little rust starting in the rear fender well on the edge (paint bubbling up), and above the windshield. i did have a previous stone chip/minor rust repaired 6 years ago above the windshield and that new spot may have been in the area of the last repair. otherwise i haven't really noticed any rust unless maybe it were on the trunk?

i did have to replace the rear bumper support as it had rusted catastrophically. though looking around the rest of the car that was the only spot. i suspect it was caused by the bumper skin using push pins into the bumper support to keep it pulled tight, thus allowing salt/water to sit in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When I bought mine used I took it to my mechanic and he looked around the rear wheel wells and said it looked good there and stated that they are known to rust in that area, I think more to the front and behind the door.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked by the doors on my 2013 today and look fine I looked in the back and where the metal pinches together it looked a tad bit orange yellowish but rubbed with my finger and it came off

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you may need to go around the car with an iron removing product (the paint might have an iron buildup from the environment the car has previously been in). i think it was called iron x or something along those lines, a couple of members have used it and said it did a great job.

then once you know the iron is gone you can accurately tell what you have as far as paint/rust concerns.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, if you have a white car, there is a good chance that you will find orange "spots" on the car (especially on roof, hood and trunk) - it's due to "rail dust". The *only* way I could get of it was with IronX - great stuff....

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Rail dust is iron "dust" - it comes from other cars brakes/rotors, trains (why it's called "rail dust"), etc. Basically, it goes airborne, falls onto your car and "bakes" into the clearcoat. It's not that you car is rusting, just tiny iron particals that get embedded into the clearcoat - and they rust, causing the little orange circles in the paint. I've really only seen it on white cars, including my 2012 Impala. I used IronX once to get rid of it and it hasn't occured again (previous owner must have lived near a railroad or something).

Here is a post where i talk about it - there are some pictures in the thread too:

https://www.impalaforums.com/appearance/378386-small-orange-rust-color-spots-on-bright-white-2012-impala-olympic-white-if-it-mat.html

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked on my drivers side front door on the inside where they pinch weld the outer to the inside there is 3 pieces of where the paint has flaked off to fix this would I need to primer and then touch up paint

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looked on my drivers side front door on the inside where they pinch weld the outer to the inside there is 3 pieces of where the paint has flaked off to fix this would I need to primer and then touch up paint
after 8 years of ownership (in mid michigan/northern indiana) my paint on the bottom of the doors where the seal hits the door was gone for most of it. i might have started getting a real light coast of surface rust but it never got close to rusting it out. just a point of reference. the door seals may have been knocking the rust off as fast as it could form due to the rubbing it always did? just a theory. as you said it would need primer/paint to fix it, but i would suspect it will occur again due to the seals.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They will have rust up around the front strut mounts under the hood that can be an issue on older models. Otherwise, along the rear bottom of the trunk just below the silver molding they can rust on the surface and start to eat through. Other spots can be below and around the gas fill spout if you are not careful with the filling and spill gas that can degrade the paint on the cover and below the fill area. Depends also if you are east coast salt filled roads versus somewhere that there is ocean and salt issues due to the ocean salt water...

They are much better though along the rocker panels compared to the previous generation Series 7 models that had the plastic covers over the metal rocker and would just hold water and eat away all along under the doors on both sides.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've also heard of the bottom of the doors rusting - check the door bottoms - inside and out.
I noticed just a small little section on my 2014 has a little paint flakage and there's a bit of rust so I'm going to work on that hopefully next weekend. I'll sand it down and probably hit it with primer and maybe just a bit of touchup paint. It's such a small spot, about half the size of a dime. But better to be proactive now rather than later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts