Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whenever I go to fill up my car with gas the gas pumps always automatically shut themselves off too early. I've tried pulling the nozzle out in various positions. I've also tried to just hold it on with my hand and it still shuts off too soon. I'm thinking it has to do with a clogged vent hose or something along those lines. Any further direction would be great.

Luke

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Wow, how'd you get your hands on a 9 gen? jk lol

What year is it?

PS I assume you got this off Wiki? They're wrong.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Probably clogged evap canister purge, check engine light?

·
Registered
195 Posts
this happens to me too. it didnt happen at all while i was living in Ohio. and as soon as i moved to Georgia it started happening. i just assumed that the pumps here pump faster or more forceful than up there and the air not being able to escape the tank fast enough not allowing the gas to flow down as it should, hence the pump stopping early. hella annoying when it happens like every 80 cents or so :/

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Damn Wiki. Idiots.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
I'm assuming this is 8th Gen, 2006-11. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Gas pumps turn off automagically when the nozzle gets liquid on the outside, don't ask me how it knows the difference, but it does, this happens to keep gas from spilling out on the ground from assheads that insist on putting their gas caps in the handle....most likely it's a problem with the pumps the guy was using, not the car itself....or there's a problem with the screen and it's allowing gas to backup at the nozzle....

I know, I know the OP prolly won't be back, but still, fyi for everyone else I guess..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's a clogged vent hose how do I know which one? I looked by the gas tank and there is what looks like a vent hose but it's attached to the filler hose and it looks like the only way to disconnect it is to cut it off. Also, there looks to be an evaporation canister down by the gas tank. Is that the right one?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yes, its the canister by the tank. Attached to it is the evap canister purge valve, if it gets stuck closed it can cause the problem you are having. I would honestly expect you to have a check engine light in that case, but not necessarily so. 2008 might still be under warranty, I guess it depends on when you bought it and how many miles are on it, but if it is let the dealer sort it out. Otherwise, its only a $30-40 part anyway.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Gas pumps turn off automagically when the nozzle gets liquid on the outside, don't ask me how it knows the difference, but it does, this happens to keep gas from spilling out on the ground from assheads that insist on putting their gas caps in the handle....most likely it's a problem with the pumps the guy was using, not the car itself....or there's a problem with the screen and it's allowing gas to backup at the nozzle....

I know, I know the OP prolly won't be back, but still, fyi for everyone else I guess..
the putting the gas cap in the handle thing you mentioned. is that to keep it pumping?

oh yeah and, as the gas level in the tank rises, the distance between the dispenser nozzle and the fuel grows smaller. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside the gas nozzle. When the end of the venturi pipe becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. Unfortunately, this shutdown can sometimes happen before the tank is full as the rapidly flowing gas backs up on its way into the tank. This can cause the gas handle to spring open before pumping is complete, leaving the annoyed customer to squeeze the handle again. Pausing briefly will allow the gas to continue into the tank and the pump nozzle to start pouring gas again.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
the putting the gas cap in the handle thing you mentioned. is that to keep it pumping?
yes....and it pisses me off to no end when people do this, I mean seriously, how lazy do you have to be when holding the handle is too much work??!!??

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Our handles have latches built in that you can use, it still stops by itself.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
does the handle not stay up in NY? cuz it does in the Chi
Our handles have latches built in that you can use, it still stops by itself.
They used to, but now it's against the law, so is putting your gas cap in them, as well as talking on the phone, could cause a spark and blow the place up, there's a few others, been a while since I read the sign at the pumps...I think everyone has the no smoking law, however I have still seen some people doing it..

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
oh that has to suck in the winter. but yeah i know getting in and out of the car creates static which will make a spark, im pretty sure on the signs it says not to leave the car on. not sure tho

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
yeah, but again, in the winter, you will see people leave them on anyways...haha, I dunno, I just wear gloves in the winter time, or switch hands and keep one in my pocket, or just time my fill ups so that when it's OMG degrees, I just don't fill up, but that requires stalking the weather forecast..sometimes I just fill up a little bit to get me where I need to be..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts