Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sorry this is my first post, but I'm a little at a loss right now and I could use some help :)

I have an 85 Impala that just recently (like last 4 days) has developed an odd problem that I can't figure out/don't know where to start looking. I'm a Toyota guy and I know most the in's & out's of those, but this domestic stuff leaves me at a loss.

Brief histoy:
148xxx miles (Grandma's old car)
New battery ~ 4 monts ago
Tune up ~ 6-8 months ago
New alternator ~ 1.5 years ago

About 4 days ago I started my car to leave for work. It started fine as usual no problems so I put it in reverse and backed out the driveway. I got about 10 feet before it "stalled" but in the sense that the Check Engine & Fasten Seatbelt lights turned on briefly before ALL the electronics in the car turned off. Radio, fans, headlights, ENGINE you name it, but then within the SAME SECOND turned right back on again. It was like a little electrical hiccup.

Surprised, I waited a few minutes but nothing happened so I continued on my way.

About two days ago I was driving down the road on my lunch break and it did the same thing as above, but about 4 or 5 times in the course of 2-4 seconds. At this point a little worried. I checked the connections on the battery (no corrosion, tight fit) and wiggled some wires while parked, but nothing happened.

Then TODAY I was driving down the freeway and it did the same thing, EVERYTHING died in the car but instantly turned back on but this time it happened about 10-15 times in about 8 seconds, then everything was fine for a minute or two. Then another set of 10-15. Concerned at this point I pulled off the freeway and let it idle. No hiccups, no shutting off, just perfectly smooth.

I pulled back on and drove away fine. I was on about a 20 mile drive running errands and it only hiccuped a couple times. Once while I was at a stop so I put it in neutral and the car shut off. If I leave it in drive it seems to keep starting back up again. While parked it hasn't done it a single time.

Anyway, I'm a little freaked out cuz I love my Mafia Staff Car, and I don't really want to take it to the mechanic unless it's a serious issue. Any ideas of where to look/start would be WONDERFUL.

Thank you in advance for the help. If you need to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask. :)

P.S. Forgot to mention this, but the battery isn't dying because I'm not losing any of my radio settings during the hiccup. It's real odd..

Johnny D

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
really weird, I would lean towards ignition switch or wiring on switch.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It might be the ignition switch.
I would pull the fuses in the fuse block one at a time and look at the fuse contacts and the female contacts in fuse block for any sign of burn or corrosion on the brass contact area.
Fuse links wires under the hood need to be moved when the car is running to see if it will stall again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL I think if the car WAS haunted, Grandma would be haunting it to tell me I drive like a BITCH. Man, for a 4'5" lady did she have an unproportionately HEAVY foot!!

I was thinking ignition switch myself perhaps but have no way to test. i played with all the fues today but nothing looked burnt. I drove around for about an hour today after fuse playing and had no issues though... Confused I am!

Does anybody happen to have a link for an impala wiring diagram? i googled for one but only found like 1965 Impala diagrams. I COULD buy one in the form of a Haynes/Chilton manual, but my experiences with those are less than awesome in the past...

Thanks!

<3 Johnny D

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Try banging on the streeing wheel while at a stop or in the driveway, and wiggling the switch a little, or turning the wheel just a bit to try and get it to act-up.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
ALL the electronics in the car turned off. Radio, fans, headlights, ENGINE you name it, but then within the SAME SECOND turned right back on again. It was like a little electrical hiccup.
Check the tightness of your battery connections. The headlights are not connected through the ignition switch. If the battery connection are not loose then check the ground connections at the engine block and from the body to engine block/battery. Also check the starter for the positive wire from the battery having a tight connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts