Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm going to change mine out, its over due as I'm nearing 65K already, the dealer recommends to change trans fluid and filter at 50K.

They're charging only $169 to change it, I can get the fluids and filter for about $100, so I'm still thinking about doing it myself, or not.

If I do I will take shots and post them for others to see, as to contribute to your write up, which is very detailed already and easy to follow, even without pictures, good job.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
No, change it but don't flush

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I just had mine done at Mr. Transmission at 70 000 kms. The fluid still looked pretty good, but I figured the car is 7 years old, so it was time for a change.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That's about 44k miles, good time to change it anyway.

·
SuperSportin
138 Posts
Hey King got a question, I got an 06 impala with 117k miles. I bought it with 115k miles last year and don't know the history of it. The fluid has a good color to it too. What do ya think? I was going to change it, not knowing the history with it, but I saw a post where you mentioned if the fluid has never been changed with high miles then not messing with it would be better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
117k is not high mile's! I would go ahead and have the trans serviced.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
change the fluid and filter just don't do a flush.....

·
SuperSportin
138 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna service it and I may end up taking it to my mechanic....the shift from 1st/2nd gear is a little hard. doesn't slip, o guess I would say, just kind of a jerk. At lower speeds its more noticable. But the other shifts are not bad at all. I just want to stay up on it so it doesn't lead to other problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
By my statement, I meant if the car has 100k miles or more and the fluid is dark and smelly, usually in that case even a service will only accelerate the demise of the transmission. If the fluid looks ok at that many miles, it has been serviced before, just keep up on it and you should be ok!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Before I had changed my fluid and filter, my car would want to start a slight whine when driving around town.
After changing the fluid and filter, this has never occurred again, and my shifts have been much more smoother and firmer. My car has 263,000 miles.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'll add my .02

The first time I do a trans fluid and filter change I add one of these. They are like $4 at rock auto and all you need is a half inch bit to install one. The next time you do a trans fluid swap or filter change you will be very happy. I just put one on the Vision this past weekend, the Impala is getting done this weekend. I have put one on every vehicle I have owned. Just take care on where you place the plug so there is no interference in side or outside the pan.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Excellent idea! Note to anyone installing one, be VERY sure to clear all the shavings out of the pan before putting it back on the vehicle.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Part number and pic for it? Explanation of what it is? Must be a plug or something? Confused as to what it is as the photobucket pic is no longer there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Here's a link to the image again, not sure what happened. Its basically a nut and bolt with a hole drilled through it so it functions like a drain plug. I have just gone the route of welding a drain bung on trans pans before, they drain better and are permanent but these are really easy and cheap. They come with plastic washers and don't leak. Make sure you leave proper clearance, check twice, drill once. The trans pan is thick metal so a good bit is needed, a step bit makes a clean hole but isn't a must.

DORMAN Part # 65128 {#0900481, 65241} Universal Transmission Drain Plug Kit; ; 9/16"; ; Hex $3.15

·
DallaSS 214
1,016 Posts
Here's a link to the image again, not sure what happened. Its basically a nut and bolt with a hole drilled through it so it functions like a drain plug. I have just gone the route of welding a drain bung on trans pans before, they drain better and are permanent but these are really easy and cheap. They come with plastic washers and don't leak. Make sure you leave proper clearance, check twice, drill once. The trans pan is thick metal so a good bit is needed, a step bit makes a clean hole but isn't a must.

DORMAN Part # 65128 {#0900481, 65241} Universal Transmission Drain Plug Kit; ; 9/16"; ; Hex $3.15

if i'm just changing the filter (i bought a wix filter) is this something i need? not doing the flush, as i do not know if it ever had one done and its at 130k miles

·
Registered
325 Posts
if i'm just changing the filter (i bought a wix filter) is this something i need? not doing the flush, as i do not know if it ever had one done and its at 130k miles
This isn't a need really. Its just to make FUTURE work easier. If you are keeping the car and plan on doing another fluid/filter change down the road it just makes the job much easier. In fact if you just change the fluid and not the filter next time all you would need to do is open the drain, drain, replace the plug and ad new fluid.

Your decision

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
This isn't a need really. Its just to make FUTURE work easier. If you are keeping the car and plan on doing another fluid/filter change down the road it just makes the job much easier. In fact if you just change the fluid and not the filter next time all you would need to do is open the drain, drain, replace the plug and ad new fluid.

Your decision
Great idea!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The thing is, to change the filter, you need to drop the pan, and dropping the pan is normally the only way to drain the fluid. With this, you have no mess, because normally it makes a hell of a mess!

41 - 60 of 112 Posts