·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The leak is to high to be the oil pan
perhaps it is the axle seal or the sensor let the dealer check it

·
Registered
954 Posts
ZumnRX8, I just wanted to let you know I'm available via private message if you would like any further assistance along the way. (For instance, I'm happy to contact your dealer at any point to follow up on your Impala's status, etc.)

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you much Katie!

I see Chevrolet Customer Service popping up often to help out members, I'm sure its greatly appreciated! Excellent customer service reaching out to owners through car forums!

Currently ATM my local dealer RALLY GMC is looking it over. Said something about putting dye to find the leak under UV.

I'm going to agree with Volume and guess it is in fact the axle seal. We shall see!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Zumn! And thanks for keeping everyone in the loop; I hope you'll let us know Rally's official diagnosis when you get the chance.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update: They cleaned up the undercarriage, topped off with the dye and ran it for a bit, no leak. So they asked me to drive a couple hundred miles so the dye can leak out and they can pin point the leak. My drive to LAX tonight is about 120mi, I'll be returning to the service department in the morning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ Bingo! No Dye detected. Well it wasn't Transmission Fluid, it was coolant. Big Relief! Smh. Yes You are suppose to check Tranny fluid in park while idling, but you have to give it some time to warm up. I was told by the GM tech to check after the car has been run when the Tranny oil is hot, Note taken. That if I check while cold at idle, it will not mark correctly.

I explained to the tech that the only time I added coolant (half gallon) was one week ago when I saw the coolant half way. He asked if I remote start my car, I responded yes. He told me that most likely while it was idling in the garage the coolant built pressure and rose and spilled the excess I had added and leaked out the overflow tank. He asked if I have needed to add more coolant since and I replied No. He asked if while driving I smelled any oil burning, I replied no. He said I would have definitely smelled it if it was tranny fluid.

He pointed out to me at the overflow tank where it leaked out, same area where I found the fluid on the floor. Huge, huge relief! Although it took two days to figure it out, I'm glad everything is good!

RALLY GMC took good care of me and provided me with excellent, helpful customer service. Both Robin the Service Manager and the Tech did a superb job.

And Here I was crossing Christmas presents off the list lol. Sorry for the somewhat thread jack.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I thought that was a funny spot for tranny fluid to be leaking, coolant makes much more sense. Glad its sorted out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2000 has around 240k on it and I am unaware of the maintenance history. Do you all think I should risk it and change the fluid/filter or leave it alone? The transmission hasn't given me any troubles, just wondering if I should do it as preventative maintenance. Thanks!
-Collin

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you don't know the maintenance history, check the fluid. If its dark and stinky, it's probably been a long time, and you're best off leaving it alone. But if its just a little brown, or pink or red, go ahead and service it, since it has probably been done recently enough.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you don't know the maintenance history, check the fluid. If its dark and stinky, it's probably been a long time, and you're best off leaving it alone. But if its just a little brown, or pink or red, go ahead and service it, since it has probably been done recently enough.
Hey King, I've got a 2007 3.5 (bought new in Nov. 2006) with 63,000 on it. Whats your 2 cents about whether or not to change the tranny fluid in this case? Cars shifts just fine and the fluid has just a slight brown to it. Does age make a lot of difference? That is, 63000 in 6 years vs same mileage in three years. It's been very well maintained otherwise but want to make sure I'm doing what I can to keep the tranny going strong. I didn't realize they have a reputation for short life until recently

Thanks!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
63k isn't too bad, and time doesn't make much difference. I would go ahead and change it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
A flush every 30-50k and filter change every 100k for any GM is good rule of thumb. Also, do not use any additives in GM tranny's. Alot of people don't as it is kinda pricey but, your car and wallet will thank you later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks a bunch Kingnutin, but I do have a follow up question.

I have a 03 Impala LS 3800 and 58,xxx miles stock with no apparent tranny cooler. I plan to change the tranny fluid and filter this summer with Dexron VI (under your recommendation). My Haynes book says that my tranny fluid copacity is between 7.4 and 10 quarts.

My question is, if I follow your directions (thank you) will I be replacing all of the fluid or just a portion, if just a portion? What percent might that be?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It replaces part of the fluid, 7-7 1/2 quarts is enough for this procedure, 10 quarts is the entire capacity. So you are changing about 75% of the fluid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanx, :eek:k3: I think I'll change both the fluid and filter this summer. And then again at 100K. I am a proactive type, a little effort now can save big $$ later.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As always, awesome writeup, did this last weekend with your help. In case anyone runs into a snag with the seal... I ended up getting the seal out pretty easily by gentling pulling down from the upper top lip of the seal with a pair of 90 degree bent bird-beak needle nose pliers.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That seal can be a serious pain, many times I have considered just leaving it, but I know what can happen...

21 - 40 of 109 Posts