Impala Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
No, I do not program mileage. I have no way of doing that.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
I did a test retrofit today with the cheap LEDs I had on hand. These are not the same LEDs that will be retrofitted into your cluster, but will give a good idea of light output and coloration.

Based on the results, I would not recommend yellow or red LEDs in the 8th gen cluster. Green, white, and blue all turned out well. The pictures don't accurately show the coloration of the gauges. I couldn't get my camera to make them look accurate. The green looked very good, and the white was like an 8000k blue. The blue was a deeper blue than the white, but did not illuminate the red portions of the gauges as well as the white bulbs did. Here are the pics

Well, you have my interest in this. But I have a question for you... do you think it's possible to have the red LED in the areas where the red spots are on the guage faces themselves, so it would show more correctly, without it bleeding thru too much??? I found a kit available from US Speedo ( who makes the guage face kit for mine...), but haven't inquired if they have the LED kit for kine or not yet... but it's shown on a 7th gen style clutser...

Would having the red LED in the right spots make it look correct, like in the pic below???

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No, I don't think it would work that well, since the red areas are mostly just one or two lines, and there's only a couple LEDs per gauge. I'd definitely recommend the white bulbs if you're worried about getting the right colors to show through.

As for the US Speedo, those are the gauge faces I have in my new cluster (less than 400 miles to go!) and they're very high quality. I have seen them for the 7th gens, but not for the 8th gens, so I'd definitely be interested to see. Anyways, let me know if you want to go through with it. I can definitely do some testing when I get your cluster to find out which bulbs would work the best for your application.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
I would have to do it, since I can't take my cluster out and send it to you to do it... can't have downtime on the ride...

But I was considering the face they have for mine in the blue, but I don't like how the areas for notification lights look all pixilated during the day... but here is a pic of them for the 8th gen SS cluster...

I would like to do the lights in mine blue, but am seeing what my options are first before I jump to anything solid. I would like it to match the exterior color as close as I can get it, ya know?

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I get ya. It doesn't look like there's any red sections on those gauges? If that's the case, I'd just do the blue bulbs. They'll look real good in there.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Yeah, I think that's what I'd wind up doing. But I would like to have and keep the red marks though... I don't know, in the air about it still...

But here is what I was saying about how the notification light areas look pixilated during the day... I wouldn't want to buy it, only to have to cut those sections off so it looked right, ya know? And that's even if this lays on the top.of the original, or this replaces the original. If this replaces the original, then I wouldn't be able to cut it at all without exposing everything underneath... this is the one potential deal breaker for me with these, and at $160 for them, can't blame me.

And they have the LED kit for mine too, I think it was like $50 IIRC... I want to, but have other things more important that the $50 could go towards right now...

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm liking the silver and blue. I might consider doing my gauges sometime down the line. Right now I have other priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all - related question. My vehicle is a 2014 Limited LTZ (8th gen) with the simple gauge cluster (speedo, tach, fuel, temp). Is there a compatible six gauge cluster from another model/earlier year which will function in mine if swapped? I really miss having voltage and oil pressure gauges from my previous car. Not willing to crack open the dash just to put LEDs into the current cluster, but I'd consider doing it if I knew I could also gain a couple of extra gauges. Thanks.

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi all - related question. My vehicle is a 2014 Limited LTZ (8th gen) with the simple gauge cluster (speedo, tach, fuel, temp). Is there a compatible six gauge cluster from another model/earlier year which will function in mine if swapped? I really miss having voltage and oil pressure gauges from my previous car. Not willing to crack open the dash just to put LEDs into the current cluster, but I'd consider doing it if I knew I could also gain a couple of extra gauges. Thanks.
Unfortunately, no. There is no comparable 6 gauge cluster for the 8th gens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks - that's a bummer. Ok, so here's my consolation prize question. Will the 2008-09 Impala SS cluster fit and function without a hitch if swapped?

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes. It's exactly the same cluster with a different gauge face. I think the speedo might go up an extra 20 mph too? But in any case, yes it is a direct swap. Just be weary of the mileage!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just a suggestion, but how about an OBD II gauge? Some people use the Torque app for a smartphone and a $20 Bluetooth OBD scanner. Downside is you have to load the app and mount your phone somewhere to view real-time data. Upside is it is cheap, and can record data for you.

Personally I'm partial to Ultragauges. Small screen you mount somewhere on your car, connect it to your OBD port and voila, done. Customize two, four, six (or I believe even more) gauges per page to display whatever data you want. Economy, voltage, temp... Downside is that it's expensive-ish (about $80 I think) and doesn't record data.

There are many other options, such as A-pillar gauges and other OBD gauges. Maybe one might fit your requirement?

Hope this helps!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts