Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Something else that we should get out of the way before it becomes a "problem"...

Is there any warranty on these clusters (or the LED's themselves)? What if an LED goes out after 2 months - how would that be handled?

Or - what if there is some other failure not related to the LEDs?

Again, just trying to make sure we set expectations appropriately ahead of time! :)

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk 2

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'll give a 1 year warranty on LEDs. Just pay shipping.

Any clusters I pick up from the junkyard will be sold as is. I will test them to the best of my ability to make sure that they function before sending them out, but I can't make any guarantees.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did a test retrofit today with the cheap LEDs I had on hand. These are not the same LEDs that will be retrofitted into your cluster, but will give a good idea of light output and coloration.

Based on the results, I would not recommend yellow or red LEDs in the 8th gen cluster. Green, white, and blue all turned out well. The pictures don't accurately show the coloration of the gauges. I couldn't get my camera to make them look accurate. The green looked very good, and the white was like an 8000k blue. The blue was a deeper blue than the white, but did not illuminate the red portions of the gauges as well as the white bulbs did. Here are the pics

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There is an option for warm white, as the LEDs are available from superbrightleds. However, I have not used those bulbs in the past, and the bulbs are $1 each, so there will be a $5 surcharge for warm white bulbs. From what I've seen on the 8th gen cluster, the cool white shines through the red very well, FWIW.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You've seen cool white shine threw the red SS film?
I've only seen red leds with the SS face (KG2014 posted a pic in his build thread) it looks good, but I'd like to try something a little different. So if cool white looks good with the SS cluster I'll give it a shot. Or I can send you my cluster and you can maybe test cool white and warm white and I'll just go with whatever looks best.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No, not through the SS cluster, just through the red portions of the stock cluster. Don't know how they'd react with the full red cluster. Thing about it is, I'd have to order the warm white LEDs AND the cool white LEDs from superbright if you wanted me to test them. I'll do that if you want, but I'd have to charge a little extra. Just let me know what you want to do.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for making me run out and pull the dash out of a car that I've got going out in an hour :lol:

But yea, it should swap over no problems. I just swapped the cluster that came out of I believe a 2008, and put it in a 2013 LS. No CEL, no warning lights, nothing.

Mind you, I swapped it over for 30 seconds and then swapped it back, so I can't make any guarantees, but from what I saw, I have no reason to believe that you'll have any problems

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thx sorry if I was being a pita I am in Mississippi right now daughter had open heart surgery yesterday will be back in fl. In a couple of weeks and will get with you on a cluster and lights again thx

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No problem, you weren't being a pain, I was just making a joke. I hope your daughters surgery went well and she recovers quickly

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Thx sorry if I was being a pita I am in Mississippi right now daughter had open heart surgery yesterday will be back in fl. In a couple of weeks and will get with you on a cluster and lights again thx
Yikes! Good luck man - I hope all is well with your daughter. So sad to hear about that kinda stuff - health is something that most people take for granted - it's always a reality-check when you hear stuff like this. We're all thinking of her and pulling for her!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk 2

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lookin good! :eek:k3:

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes my dude i have been in search for this...Im tryna get my cluster re did with the blue led. do you have a shop or garage where i can come to you in MD. I am in Landover.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I work in a shop in Rockville. I can figure out when I've got some free time so I can do it real quick for you without having to keep the cluster out if the car at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I take it you don't reprogram the mileage on clusters or things like certified spedo?

I'm asking cause I have my eye on a SS gauge w/ 116k but my milage is 92k and Id rather not wait a year for the mileage to catch up to do the swap!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts