Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pulled my Grandpa's 78 Impala Sedan with the 305 from the bush and have it running. Below the steering column by a person's knees there are three Push/Pull knobs. The knobs are missing but the rods are still there. I'll trace them if I have to but I wanted to ask what they were or a picture of what they should be before I dig into it. I know someone knows, just not me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure someone has these in their car. I've seen pictures but none are in a high enough resolution for me to read.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The rods (missing the knobs) are probably to open and close vents (called lap-coolers).

Cars without a/c used to have lower / lap vents to draw outside air into the car. Cars with a/c would often have then to provide lower cooling.

I have owned GM cars since my first one, a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu - although I have never owned a 1978 Impala.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with that. They all move but I have t figured out which is which. Maybe winter isnt the best time for this. I'll try wreckers for the knobs and which is which. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I agree with that. They all move but I have t figured out which is which. Maybe winter isnt the best time for this. I'll try wreckers for the knobs and which is which. Thank you.
These should be documented in the owner's manual, but, after 40 years, I understand if yours is gone.

FWIW, I tried looking for one to download, but no luck - I'm afraid 1978 is too far back for that.

I did find some for sale. It might be worth paying for one if you don't have one.

As for knobs, besides the wreckers, you might check at an electronics store. They might have some that will pass.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
As stated, I have to repeat it since this isn't seen anymore. It looks like they're only on non-A/C cars, and A/C had a vent outlet in this place (with another on the pass. side) These look like rectangular knobs (that pull in and out); L-Center-R outlets sounds right (correct). See this site: Gallery - impala interior . Usually these outdoor air vents were at the kick panel by the feet (both sides) - Chevy upped the convenience and ergonomics at this point locating the knobs closely within the driver's reach. I recall round knobs, typically, so if you can find anything that will fit, it will suffice. I imagine it will be virtually impossible to find original ones - 60s cars had them all the time. Also, they're probably a stout connection since it's cabling, so they might be difficult to pull off - really difficult, if not impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts