Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that I am loosing spark? How do I know if my points are worn?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
take a book of matches and guage them with one layer of the card board it should be a tight fit

·
Registered
94 Posts
Easy way to tell spark

Pull a plug wire off, plug in a spare spark plug into the wire, ground the threads on a piece of metal in the engine bay preferably on the motor, an accessory bracket works great. (don't hold on to it at this point, it'll shock the bejesus out of you, but if your friend holds it...kidding) and have someone turn the motor over, then look at the spark. Should be a nice bright blue spark, and snap like a whip very sharp snap, not a dull yellow spark and a pop. Looking at the plugs will tell a lot too.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Points & condenser are pretty cheap, just replace them. Or pick-up a cheapie dwell meter and measure the point dwell, should be around 30, IIRC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it is much less problemmatic to go with a hei distributor. then you wont have to worry about points wearing anymore because you will have an electronic module. you can pick a distributor with cap, module and coil of for about fifty bucks..

·
Registered
828 Posts
it is much less problemmatic to go with a hei distributor. then you wont have to worry about points wearing anymore because you will have an electronic module. you can pick a distributor with cap, module and coil of for about fifty bucks..
ditto

You'll probably recover the $50 in gas savings pretty fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts