Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I drained the ATF in my ’16 yesterday and replaced it with Castrol Transmax Dex VI. Glad I did this sooner, rather than later.

The old fluid was dark after only 27.5K miles (presuming a factory fill). Not brown, but more a deep burgundy red than pink. It smelled about the same as the Castrol that went in (both stink IMO), so not really burnt. I suppose it was borderline okay, but obviously nearing the end of its service life. No metal shavings on the drain plug, which was a good sign.

The ATF had been reading low on the dipstick ever since I bought the car last November, and since the car was due for an oil change anyway, I thought I’d kill two birds while I had it up on jack stands for the oil drain. Just under 5 quarts of ATF came out, and after driving to heat up the fluid and topping off, a bit more than 5.5 quarts of Transmax Dex VI went back in.

I’ll certainly be repeating this procedure every 25K – 30K miles from now on. Even though most of the miles I rack up are from freeway driving, it’s hotter than hell here in the desert (but “only” 105 for the high yesterday :|). I strongly urge those who drive in similar conditions, or subject your cars to mostly stop-and-go driving to do the same. If you have a drain plug on your tranny, it’s a quick and easy procedure, and your transmission will undoubtedly appreciate the care.

Cheers! :beer:

T-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good day,

This thread is simply to encourage you to change your ATF. I strongly recommend that you change it sooner than later (not at 156,000KM).

It's very easy and require simple tools.
  • drip pan (at least 6 liters of capacity)
  • 11mm socket + ratchet
  • long reach funnel
  • GM A/C Delco Mercon VI (at least 5 liters)
  • Lucas ATF conditioner (my car, and all my fleet uses Lucas lubrications products), 591ml (20oz)
  • rags and cardboard to minimize spills
Let your engine cool off for 60 minutes after operation, and drain your transmission. it will drain approx. 5.2 to 5.5 liters. Just add 5 liters to the funnel, and add from there after running the engine for 5 minutes and shift between R and D positions.

Why changing sooner than GM recommendation?
  • easy to change and no cracking open the pan and change filter.
  • cheap to change
  • first drainage, you will she metal on the magnet drain plug
  • don't believe the high intervals recommendation.
Here are some pictures, this will not show the step by step, but shows the items and the ATF condition.

On the sample pictures, the first (on the left) is brand new ATF from the bottle, the second was the fluid from my first change (25,651km) the second one (Yesterdays change) was change at 51,937km.

Note: Since I got the car in 2013, it's been expose to a lot of 1/4 miles runs (at least a minimum of 100 passes per summer). But, even if you do not race and it's you're daily commute car, change the fluid.

Cheers and sorry if all the numbers are in the metric system!
I drove the car for 50 minutes on highway and city and then plugged in my OBD2 and it showed trans fluid temp 115F.
What should I do

·
Registered
120 Posts
Took a picture of my trans fluid on a paper towel. Can anyone tell me how good/bad the color of this is? 2016 Limited has 65000 miles, bought used and have no idea if fluid has ever been changed. To my inexperienced eye it looks fine, but I don't do much vehicle maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Took a picture of my trans fluid on a paper towel. Can anyone tell me how good/bad the color of this is? 2016 Limited has 65000 miles, bought used and have no idea if fluid has ever been changed. To my inexperienced eye it looks fine, but I don't do much vehicle maintenance.
Looks kinda brownish, so a little beat. Mine looked like that the first time I drained it.

Reddish (pinkish on rag) is what you see when the ATF is still pretty fresh. I now drain mine every 25K miles, which may be more frequently than necessary. But I like to see it looking dark red in the drain pan.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts