Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my 50 yo rear springs on my 69 sedan. It has a 327. I’d like a comfortable ride at the stock height or even a little higher. Does anyone know where I can find variable rate rear springs?

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Sagging issue may very-well be resolved by simply having the new springs put on.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The '69 has Coil Springs.

You may be able to find original type springs at Rock Auto, although other vendors sell them as well.

I would try to find the original spring weight rating, then you could try to find some springs a little heavier. Another way would be to just go with stock type springs and if you would like more height, you could install load leveler shocks or air shocks. The nice thing about air shocks is that you can adjust the height.

I put load levelers on my '71 and it brought the height up perfect (a little over stock height) even with the old original springs still in there, but changing the springs would be a better way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to replace my 50 yo rear springs on my 69 sedan. It has a 327. I’d like a comfortable ride at the stock height or even a little higher. Does anyone know where I can find variable rate rear springs?
it's true feel is how YOU like it. Most of the guys go with a little stiffer spring to eliminate some of that rock and roll in our old Chevy's. To that effect most replacement manufacturers go with the station wagon springs as stiffer suspensions are more popular. The next most popular are lowering springs because the car looks cooler and lower cars have a better center of gravity. In the original set up something had to be given up to get that great GM feeling and it was control. what is hard is to find an online vendor that gives you the spring specs like height and and compression + relax rates. even wire thickness is not normally mentioned. i bought my 1960 springs from Performance on line. another knowledgeable vendor is Global West. i'm not sure but i don't think variable rate springs are normally places in the rear. if you don't need a stock look try coil over springs or variable shocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts