Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would be better off getting someone to make it>>>

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 69 impala about a year ago and I can't find the piece of metal that goes in between my back window and trunk, I have been told by a lot of people that it rusted out on all of this model car with a soft top on it but can someone please help me with finding this piece? This is my first old car restoration.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
You will probably need a good body shop to fabricate one for your car. You could even have it made of fiberglass sense this part appears to rust so easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow i'm happy there is starting to become a nice lil group of us 69 owners. i done have the convertible, but even my hard top has some rust damage in the same area. i'm not sure how bad your problem is, but i plan on removing my rear window sanding/grinding out the rust and resurfacing it with lead most likely. cutting out and making a new piece or having a new piece made by professional is a great way to go as well.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
10 Posts
metal

Hi.
Since you are doing a restoration, this is a perfect time for you to begin learning to fabricate metal repair panels. You will be be doing more of as you get further along in the restoration. The more you do yourself will help bring the cost down and will give you a greater feeling of accomplishment than writing a check. Also, you won't be at the mercy of a so called "professional" body shop.

Of course you do need a place to work and an investment in tools, minimal to start with. A lot can be accomplished if you put you mind to it and jump in. Yes, you will make mistakes, but they can be fixed, and you will learn a lot of skills.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think we have the same issue. On my 70 vert mine isn't rusted, its just bent and very flimsy. I been looking on numerous site with no luck. Mine is chrome just like the trim on the hood(that I also need), headlight bezel's, etc. I was told that it can't be fabricated. Don't know.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
jay post is 3 years old

1 - 6 of 6 Posts