Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK started to restore (tidy up) my old mans 68 for him its a 68 pillar-less impala original right hand drive (in Australia) heres some pics
starting to pull her apart getting ready for a respary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres a few more

bumpers getting them off to the chromers

the sad 327 with the cave man gas system which wont be going back on

·
Registered
828 Posts
What's the carb/air cleaner flux capacitor thing?

And what's with the tank in the trunk?

I was always amazed that they made RHD models of those cars... like GM thought the Japanese and British would jump on V8 beasts like these. It's hard to imagine that they'd sell enough to pay for all the additional stuff - dash, column, pedals, firewall... what a headache. European cars like the Mini and the VW had the dash in the center so it worked for right or LHD.

Great shots - thanks for posting!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the carb/air cleaner flux capacitor thing?

And what's with the tank in the trunk?

I was always amazed that they made RHD models of those cars... like GM thought the Japanese and British would jump on V8 beasts like these. It's hard to imagine that they'd sell enough to pay for all the additional stuff - dash, column, pedals, firewall... what a headache. European cars like the Mini and the VW had the dash in the center so it worked for right or LHD.

Great shots - thanks for posting!
Ha Ha the carb/air cleaner is a old gas (not petrol) conversion kit they used to use here in Australia
The tank in the boot is the gas tank

·
Registered
828 Posts
You sure have a nice shop... Holy #%&%#!

I thought that might be an LPG conversion kit with the water lines and tank. Why we didn't go to that and give up gasoline 30 years ago is a mystery. There's enough LPG for us to do it. I saw a show on the Alaskan pipeline and they said that since the 1960's they've had LPG coming up with oil when they drill and they have no place to put it so they just pump it back down. They said the amount was equivalent to the entire fuel needs of California (!).

My first car was a '68 and I love those cars, the 4 dr hardtop is my favorite style, so I really appreciate these pics.

Here's my heeler Jaco, he doesn't miss a repair:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah its a good workshop its my cousins he runs his own panel shop very handy the dog is his she loves the work shop
Good looking bluey you have there

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looking good!

It's nice to see a '68 without the usual rust along the bottom of the rear window, the car looks real straight.

What are these trim holes - was the car originally painted two tone?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good!

It's nice to see a '68 without the usual rust along the bottom of the rear window, the car looks real straight.

What are these trim holes - was the car originally painted two tone?
There was no rust at all which is good but the car has been sitting in a shed for 13years +
Yeah it had a chrome trim around the back pillar it is on it in the earlier pics i don't know if it was two tone Hmmm as long as i can remember its all ways been just white

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK Got a question what colour should the rally rims be ?
And what exhaust did they have its a 327 2-speed power glide
brought my self a polishing wheel for my bench grinder so been in the shed polishing geez what a job lucky i had some beer to keep me company

1 - 20 of 64 Posts