Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 chevy impala 4dr, it has the original 327 engine in it with 275 horsepower stock, and i am working to get it to at least 500hp. Would it be considered a muscle car or just a classic?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
As a muscle car owner for 40 years, I can tell you , you are throwing good money after bad to start with a 4 door. Back in the day all 4dr were considered uncool. You had to have a 2dr to be cool. One day your going to sell this car and making it 500 hp is not going to make worth what a 2dr is worth. An Impala especially a 4dr were considered a mom's car not a muscle car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I was around in 1968 and no one considered any Impala to be a muscle car. You could get some righteous horsepower (SS454) in one but it was never called a muscle car.

Muscle cars were intermediate 2-door body models with high performance motors. Not one of them had four doors which was a little strange because if you knew your way around the order books you could have the same equipment installed in a four door body.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Neither one,,,,,all muscle cars have a big block engine, and a classic is a two-door car with a big block.
Sorry about your luck....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
500 hp our of a 327 is dreaming. I'm not saying it can't be done, just not worth the time & $$$ in this day & age.

But I have to disagree with some of you guys, big blocks did not define a muscle car. Although that was the case with some big cars because that's what it took to move them. You can't say that a '67-69 427 Impala SS was not a muscle car just because it was a big sedan. Can you say that a '68 302 Z28 was not a muscle car because it didn't have a big block?. How about the Boss 302 'stang? Where does the '70 Toronado GT fall ? I guess a '65 FI 327 365 HP 'vette was not a muscle car. I was also around back then, I cut my teeth turning wrench's on these cars, hell, back then the term 'muscle car' didn't exist. I will agree that any 4dr car was not in the catagory period.

·
Impala Fanatic
1,261 Posts
I've seem some sleeper 4-door Novas and Chevelles that were muscle cars in every sense of the word. I saw a mid-70s Pontiac 4-door with a 455 at the Route 66 show that was as amazing as any muscle car I've seen. What about a Plymouth Satellite?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone bigger, it can be a very good topic about 'hot rod's' in general.

·
Impala Fanatic
1,261 Posts
Hey Gregg-O have you ever driven over here for the Route 66 show? You should really do it at least once and make a weekend out of it. It's the highlight of my year!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Most of the old oldsmobiles had 4 DOORS and 425 or 455 motors those are muscle cars

·
Registered
828 Posts
For me the classic muscle cars were the Judge, Javelins, '69 Malibu's with 396's, 442 Olds, all 2 door cars. They're lighter than 4 dr cars, and more like a sports car.

Personally, I've always liked 4 dr cars way more. Especially 4 dr hardtops.

But I have seen some 60's Impalas with Mickey Thompson's and blowers that would have to qualify as muscle cars. It's like jazz, it's whatever you want to do. A 4 dr Impala with all the goodies would be a muscle car to me, just not your typical one.

Here's a 4 dr that was on eBay awhile ago:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yup evidence of a beautiful 4 door muscle car

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Hey Gregg-O have you ever driven over here for the Route 66 show? You should really do it at least once and make a weekend out of it. It's the highlight of my year!
No, Can't say that I have. Where is the show? The wife likes to go to SD and hang around the beach, so I'm wondering if I can maybe tie things together...MMmmmmm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts