Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

has anyone ever done a disc break conversion to a 68 2 door impala using donor parts from a 1970 4 door impala? I currently possess the rotor,caliper, and spindle from the 1970 impala however, the spindle's geometry is completely different than that of the 68 drum spindle. Has anyone had any success in using one of those after market caliper mounting brackets that wud work for the application?

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
You have everything you need to put Disc brakes on your Impala. You will need some hydraulic lines and proportioning valve. I used 69 Impala disc on my 65.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for replying.

it would appear that I do have what I need but there are a few issues.
1. The donor spindle is approx. 3 1/2" smaller than the existing drum brake spindle.
2. When looking at the passenger side of the donor car the tie rod end connection is located on the radiator side of the spindle which is contrary to my 68 which has the tie rod end connection on the firewall side of the drum brake spindle.
3. The donor spindle was removed from a lower control arm that has the ball joint with threaded stud in the upward position. My 68 drum brake spindle has the lower control arm ball joint facing downward.

based on these reasons it appears these parts are not a match. Am I missing or not doing something that should be done. I am all ears.

on a side note , the caliper is stamped with a "C1". Is it possible that this car be a swap itself. I've read that this could be a first generation corvette caliper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have the wrong spindles, possibly from a 71 or newer car. They wont work. The spindle and brakes 69-70 B-body or a C2 Corvette will fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts