Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 68 chevy impala and it needs a driveline/driveshaft and i was wondering if a 73 monte carlo would fit? If not can you tell me which other types of cars will fit it? Thank you!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm with twosmallwheels on this one. The Monte Carlo has a shorter wheel base and all older Monte's have more motor set back than do the Impalas. That'll shorten the shaft even more.
Its best to have one made up. In a pinch you can use a shorter one (no more than 1/8 in.).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, only the same Impala as your, give or take a couple of years, (NOT `71 onwards) and with the same wheelbase as your car.

Really it`s easier just to take the thing out and drop it off at a Driveline rebuilder. It`ll cost you less than $100 AND you wont be putting another *used* driveline in it .

The monte Carlo will not fit, it has a different wheelbase, and Your "B" body Impala *may* have a double Yoke at the rear, where the "A" body Monte Carly does not!

it`s only 4 little bolts, just take it out yourself, put a drip pan under the tailpipe of the Transmission just in case some fluid falls out. Use the E-brake!

·
Registered
3 Posts
been there, done that

When I was new to this game I put a used driveshaft in my 68 Impala and it was a huge headache finding one that fit with the right size ends for the two U-joints. (I actually snapped the end off my driveshaft so I HAD to replace it) If you need to replace it, back then (about 15 years ago) Napa sold new drive shafts balanced, with the correct u-joints for $185. Look for a new one. I spent almost that much money and at least 10 times the labor going the used route. The driveshafts from various vehicles are very similar in length, but it has to be exact, as well as be the right size for your transmission (TH400, TH350, etc) If your drive shaft ain't broken, I agree with the previous post. Have it re-done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts