Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i came back from Christmas break my car starter engine/ solenoid would not crank at all. I left it so i could work on it today because it was 50 degrees out. It turned on immediately when i turned the key so i let it run thinking it was just because it was cold. Turned it off and went inside.

But when i went to go somewhere the problem resumed.
so I took off the starter and solenoid and brought it to autozone and it checks out. worked for them the first time. Then i cleaned my connections and put some new wire from the solenoid to coil and starter circuit.

Still nothing not even a click in the starter. I am all out of ideas! can anybody help please this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im going to test that tomorrow. also another idea someone gave me to see if my starter casing is draining power.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Starter

I don't remember the that year having a starter relay. The wire going from the starter solenoid to the coil is the starter bypass line. When you turn your ignition key on, voltage from the ignition switch sends power to several places, one being the coil. When you turn the key to start it it goes to ignition 2 and the connection is broken. The wire from the solenoid supplies power to coil during cranking. When you let the key go, the power is once again supplied from ignition 1. The wire coming off the inginiton 2 position goes to the starter solenoid which pulls in the plunger and allows the main battery cable to feed the starter which can be a couple hundred amps. First check that when you go to start it that you have a solid 12v to the solenoid. If you do, it's probably an intermitten stater or solenoid. The solenoid being the most common problem. Any questions about testing, get back to us.

Jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so after testing every possible wire connection i got frustrated and smacked the crap out of it with a hammer harder then i did last time. It worked instantly SO it was a bad brush! I bought a new starter and i never knew my car could start like that! it was amazing. It used to take half a second to start it now its like START! i believe just taking it out to get it tested moved things around and thats why it worked at autozone! THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
285 Posts
starter

Glad to hear it. Often also what happens is where the contacts in the solenoid connect, it pits there, so often you can smack it and it works. The same goes for things like your motors on your electric windows. My 82 El Camino I had years ago had a bad drivers door window motor. When it didn't work I would either close the door hard or reach down and smack the door on the inside, and it would work. Eventually though it will need to be replaced, but that can get you out of a jam.

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hammer

Computers too! I don't care what they say, it works, maybe just in my mind, but it works, and I work with computers daily. No I am not a programmer, but I am not a novice either.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts