Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just bought a 283 engine complete, literally with everything, that I am replacing my existing 283 that needs to be rebuilt badly. Less money, less time and instant replacement. All good on that front.

I have been told by wiser men than me that I will have to replace my radiator as well. I currently have a 3-on the tree manual. The 283 replacement comes out of a '67 Malibu with a Powerglide. I'm assuming the radiators are different. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance.

MD

·
Registered
285 Posts
Radiator

They would could be different because of the trans cooling lines. If your just changing the motor, not the trans, you don't need to do anything.

jeff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks Jeff. Ordered a couple things from Impala Bob's today and when I was on the phone I talked to a guy who said to make it work you basically need to get to a couple brass plugs, Teflon tape them to make sure and it's basically the same radiator. It's not a show car but does that sound accurate?

Thanks for your replies. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would have to check to be sure, but I don't believe a Malibu Radiator will fit in your Biscayne. What is wrong with your Biscayne Radiator?

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bill,

There are a series of repaired cracks all over the radiator from God knows what. The previous owner pointed them out and the last time I had an oil change, last month, it shows some other areas. Bottom line is that it needs a replacement sooner than later.

Appreciate the reply.

MD

·
Super Moderator
10,786 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts