Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently uncovered a 67 Impala SS in my grandfather's garage. He told me it has always been his dream to restore the car and drive it in the local community 4th of july parade. I do not have a clue of how to get started and I want this to be a hands on project. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where to start...

If you're new to the idea of restoration/mechanics I'd recommend you get a couple of books, and start reading. Start by getting a repair manual for the car, because you'll need it. They are invaluable. I have one for every vehicle I own, and keep them in the respective trunk/cargo storage area.

I'd recommend studying basic automotive mechanics first, followed by bodywork. Get her running and driving before you worry about anything else. That's also a lot harder to screw up than body work. You'll build skills and knowledge along the way, and the confidence you get from that will help a lot when it comes to bodywork.

It's an acquired skill that takes time, so don't get discouraged if it takes you a while, or if you mess things up a bit. You gotta start somewhere.

There are a LOT of us here that'll help how we can.

If you want to know where to start on the car, pick a system. IF it's been sitting a while, they'll all need to be gone through.

I hope that's some help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently uncovered a 67 Impala SS in my grandfather's garage. He told me it has always been his dream to restore the car and drive it in the local community 4th of july parade. I do not have a clue of how to get started and I want this to be a hands on project. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.
i recently got my hand on a 67 impala 4dr 327 :) i am knowlegdeable in the mechanics field, rebuilding engines is a breeze to me, but as soon as i put a wrench on my car, i started second guessing myself and getting worried. something that i did, was make a list of timeframes of when i want things to be done by. i decided the depth of restoration i wanted to do, and did my homework, now im going to have engine/trans done by summer, and paint/body done by end of summer once i get money, and interior/rims/rummer to follow whenever i can afford so. any pictures?

good luck!! and remember, Bow Tie Pride!!!

Jake Engel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts