Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello gentlemen,

i took out the 67 out last night and noticed that when i pressed the brake it took longer to stop. after 10 mins got a little better. took it out this morning, same thing. i popped open the hood & noticed break fluid slowly oozing out the master cylinder. as i was taking the top off to check the fluid level, i felt a significant amonut of pressure pushig the cap up. at the same time fluid was gushing out!!! once that stopped and got the top off, only the fwd compartment was topped off with break fluid while the rear compartmet was empty ....

i'm pretty sure the master cylinder needs replacing, but what about the power brake booster? how do i know if thats ok or needs replacing too?

what do u guys think?

thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey guys,

it happened again !!! today i had my camera with me ....

when you look at the pics you can see what i'm talking about ....

it seems that air pressure builds in the rear compartment pushing all the fluid to the forward compartment .... but then again i'm no mechanic

so any ideas would be great

thanks again :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Replace the master cylinder, I doubt that the booster is the problem. Most likely the forward cups on the master cylinder have failed and the back cups are pushing the fluid forward past the front cups and overloading the forward compartment. You may have noticed a long pedal travel during braking?

The forward portion of the brake booster would have only vacuum. The rear portion of the booster would have vacuum opened to atmospheric pressure during braking procedure, not likely to be pushing pressure into the master cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would fill the master cylinder up with fluid and try and find out where it is leaking from. I would imagine that it has drum brakes all around, so you might want to check the wheel cylinders or the hose to the cylinders or the lines before you start replacing things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts