Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellas

i found a 67 impala with an LT1 (from a 96 Impala - 70K miles) ....

is it better to have a "newer" engine rather than the orignal engine?

what else should i look for before i make a decision to buy?

thanx

·
Registered
9 Posts

Im looking at a 62 SS. I have a friend he gave me info. on what to look for. Check for rust and try to get all original on it. I belive its better just to buy it all restore. Let me know what you think Im trying to find a good buy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, everything is original except the engine ... and has only "surface rust" in some areas

i'm having it inspected this week, so hopefully everything is good and i'll be picking it up on the weekend .....

thanx for the info & good luck with the 62 :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The newer engine will be more fuel efficent with more power.
Down side is when working on it is some of the parts are now custom fitted and could be harder to find or build such as the motor mounts.

I would not run from the car because of the engine. LT1 parts are readily available.

Sound like it should be a real fun machine to drive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel/air mixture problem .....

hey guys

what are some causes of a "fuel air mixture problem" with a 96 SS engine w/ 70K miles? (and what are some solutions? cost?)

just asking b/c i was getting ready to buy the car, but the seller said he had this problem ...... sould i let him fix it or negotiate a lower price and fix it myself ....

thanks again for your help :biggrin:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys,

just an update on the 67.

i had the vehicle inspected and found exacly what i expected. alot of surface rust on the undercarriage, but no rot!!! the engine & tranny are fine !!! a couple little things here and there .....

just worried about a couple rust bubbles found underneith the vynil top. the current owner knows about it, but doesn't know the extent of the rust. also the clock, water temperature gauge, and ampmeter do not work.

does anyone know what repair work we're talking about here and how much it might cost?

i'm trying to negotiate a price and would like to incorporate these major factors in there

thanks a million for everyone's help :biggrin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not sure if its worth anything but i think the 96 lt1's computers (Obd II) are a little less tunable or something along those lines, but i dont know if you have a computer system or not running with the 63 impala.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you end up buying this car? If so it should be a blast to drive. The LT1 motor is a good one (some would say the optispark is bad, but I never had a problem with mine) and they run good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wiring painless wire great guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Lt1 67' is this one and is a very nice drive.

The only thing that is needed is some better springs. It's like hell going over speedbumps:BangHead:. It is only about 3 1/2 inches off the ground. It scrapes everytime I have a full load of people. Driving alone is fine. I'm going to start telling everyone to get out of my car right before every bump:biggrin:. That is, until i get the new springs.

BTW, Anyone know of any good springs that can lift a car at least 3 or 4 inches? Thanks

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts