Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I put in all polyurethane in the front and rear suspension. I greased it really well. (bought extra special urethane grease from Energy suspension and MADE SURE i used plenty) I also replaced all 4 balljoints on the suspension and greased it well with chassi-grease. I also re-greased the inner and outher tie-rod ends. I am 100% sure that it's not the bushings that makes the sound, there is no squeeking tendencies when I rock the front end, or when I drive over large bumps. So what can it be, any suggestions? It sounds like something is dry of lubricant.. I have tried to locate it, and it sounds like it could come from the stearing box itself, or perhaps the link arm on the passengerside, but is this possible? It is powersteering and it has no lubepoints that I have found. Neither has the link to the frame on the pass.side. P.S.fluid is plenty of.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Neither has the link to the frame on the pass.side. P.S.fluid is plenty of.
Did you replace the idler arm? If the above link you mentioned is original then that may well be where the squeak originates from.

Also check the gear box mounting bolts with a socket set It may be just loose enough to move and tight enough for you not to see it.

If indeed the sound is from the gear box you can try a steering fluid conditioner and see if that helps.

·
Registered
828 Posts
"66 Impala SS makes Squeeking sound when I turn the wheel"

well, stop turning the wheel!

sorry...

It isn't the belt is it? You can spray some WD40 (or better yet some drive belt conditioner/spray can stuff) on the belt to see if it goes away.
That's the common squeeking I've had with power steering, especially with the thin belt pre-80's setup.

Sometimes you can isolate sound sources with a length of heater hose to your ear and the other end near the component.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This winter I put in all polyurethane in the front and rear suspension. I greased it really well. (bought extra special urethane grease from Energy suspension and MADE SURE i used plenty) I also replaced all 4 balljoints on the suspension and greased it well with chassi-grease. I also re-greased the inner and outher tie-rod ends. I am 100% sure that it's not the bushings that makes the sound, there is no squeeking tendencies when I rock the front end, or when I drive over large bumps. So what can it be, any suggestions? It sounds like something is dry of lubricant.. I have tried to locate it, and it sounds like it could come from the stearing box itself, or perhaps the link arm on the passengerside, but is this possible? It is powersteering and it has no lubepoints that I have found. Neither has the link to the frame on the pass.side. P.S.fluid is plenty of.

did you ever get this figured out? Im still search for a solution to this as well

·
Registered
828 Posts
Did you verify that it's not the belt? You can do that with some heater hose as a stethoscope while someone turns the wheel.

That is, of course, if it happens in park when you turn the wheel.

The skinny belt system they used up until the 80's was always on the verge of squeeking. I put a wide belt system from a '85 (alternator, water pump etc) system on a '69 and it was finally the end of that nightmare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts