Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking to replace the radiator on my 66 Caprice. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on a replacement. I want something that is good quality and will keep my engine cool, possibly better then stock. But most importantly, I want reliability.

I also want something that is fairly easy to install with no modifications to the vehicle. I do not mind going aftermarket as long as it meets this criteria. What is good and what should I stay away from? Any advice is welcome, thanks! The car is a 66 Caprice with the 396, AT, No A/C.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hello, looking to replace the radiator on my 66 Caprice. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on a replacement. I want something that is good quality and will keep my engine cool, possibly better then stock. But most importantly, I want reliability.

I also want something that is fairly easy to install with no modifications to the vehicle. I do not mind going aftermarket as long as it meets this criteria. What is good and what should I stay away from? Any advice is welcome, thanks! The car is a 66 Caprice with the 396, AT, No A/C.
I see Rockauto has a 1-row, all aluminum radiator available (for the 396), and they list 2-row and 3-row aluminum units as out of stock. I suppose one of these would work.

But I wonder what you already have in the car. Back in the day, folks would take the stock units to a radiator shop and have them boiled out, or get them re-cored. That latter is like having a brand new radiator. And, since it re-uses most of the parts from the stock unit, it should bolt in without difficulty.

Re-coring should be fairly straight-forward, but I suppose that is dependent on the other parts of the radiator being in decent condition. If yours is too far gone, maybe it's not worth it.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking. But hopefully we'll hear from some of the guys who have dealt with this, who have some more recent, first hand experience.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will definitely look into rock Auto. I believe the radiator is the original one that came with the car. I think it's also leaking a little coolant from the gasket where the upper radiator hose enters the engine. (Not sure what this part is called).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts