Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a project 66 or 67 Impala, and restore it so that it looks like a classic, but I want to put new parts in it, so I can drive it more often. By this I mean putting a 2010+ engine in it, with corresponding components. How would I find out what kinds of engines, or parts are compatible, or what I would need.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I want to buy a project 66 or 67 Impala, and restore it so that it looks like a classic, but I want to put new parts in it, so I can drive it more often. By this I mean putting a 2010+ engine in it, with corresponding components. How would I find out what kinds of engines, or parts are compatible, or what I would need.
This will need to be verified, but I'm thinking any of the recent vintage small-blocks from GM will fit. Here's a Wiki article with more info on LS and LT engines . These engines share dimensions such as bore spacing with the earlier Chevy small blocks. So that seems encouraging. But you'll still need to pay attention to motor mount position (on the blocks) and bolt pattern for the transmission bell-housing. And you might have to get some welding/fabrication work done to facilitate the engine mounts, in case these newer blocks have them in a different place. (Also, just in case, avoid the transverse mounted engines such as the LS4 mentioned in the article. I don't think they will easily fit into a longitudinal application.)

To be clear, most of the motors in that article are/were used in Corvettes and Chevy trucks. So again, that leads me to think those should be easy fits into a 1967 Impala.

Other engineering issues will be the fuel system and the computers. You will likely need to get a new fuel tank made that facilitates a modern fuel pump (which resides in the tank rather than being bolted to the engine block). A pressure line (~50 psi) will need to be run from the tank to the engine compartment.

Not sure how to do this, but the engine computer from your donor engine will need to be configured/re-programmed to run stand-alone, since there are no other computers in your 67 for it to talk to, except maybe a transmission controller, depending on what tranny you use.

Sorry I can't give you hard answers, but those are the things that come to mind that I would focus on in a project like you describe. And I wholeheartedly like your idea of putting a modern engine (and transmission) into a 60's beast :)

One great thing about getting a modern engine is that you can have power to smoke the tires and still get good gas mileage when you keep your foot out of it. I think a recent, supercharged Vette motor makes like 600HP and still gets 20mpg :)

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude,
Just use a nice new small block Chevy motor, a crate engine, and use a carbuerator and electronic ignition. You can save yourself lots of work fitting all that stuff into the car (fuel lines, computer, smog lines, etc.) and it'll run nice with A/C on; get a new freon system and you'll have nice, cold air in it. Then you can spend your time driving it and showing it instead of retro-fitting it.
"..Step on the gas and wipe that tear away. One sweet dream came true tonight..."
The Beatles,
Abbey Road
(y) 😁

1 - 4 of 4 Posts