Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in need of help. I recently bought a 1965 Impala ss with a manual transmission in the trunk, none in the car. The cover bolt pattern looks like the borg warner diagram I found on a website. First of all the numbers on this side of the transmission appear to be GM5 3868982 also an A58 and an L215. The other side of the transmission appears to be casted GM1 38558986 A66 and the bell housing GM 3858405. Can you give me any idea of what I have here? I am looking for something in a 4 speed to go in this car with a 327 or 396 engine. Maybe you have the transmission I need or this one is fine to use? Even though it won't be a matching numbers car i would like to try to get everything as close as possible to that, for example dated. any help you can give would be greatly appreciated or somewhere you could refer me to find out. What does anyone suggest I put in this in a 4-speed for best resale?

Thank you,
Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
go muncie!

I think you should hope you have a muncie transmission. I think ( I can check by books at home later) that your 65 probably came with an M20 or M21 muncie 4 speed and they are what is generally most desirable. The M22 is the most rare and the heaviest, but an M21 is an awesome transmission, and alot quieter than the M22. There's a great website for identification, but there is a stupid setting on this forum that won't let me post a link until I've posted 15 times. Just put the whole http thing in front of this and there you go. nastyz28.com/chevy-manual-transmission-identification.php

1 - 2 of 2 Posts