Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First time poster here. I hope I'm posting in the right section. I have a 65 SS & I was wondering if anyone knows if Disk Brakes/spindles from a 72 A-body will work on my 65. She's got the shakes & I know where I can get the 72 disk setup for free!

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah man i am wondering the same for my 60 Belair. If not which years will swap onto my frame? Im cool with changing the whole a-arm assembly if i have to, but i just dont want to pay $1200 for aftermarket stuff when i know i can get half the parts from a junk yard and buy the calipers and rotors and stuff new for about $300 or so!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can buy disk brake conversions everywhere. I just bought a power disk set-up for my 65' for under $500 and it uses your spindles. Kit came with everything to complete the job. Parts were good and looks like the swap will be super easy. Look on Ebay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Disc Brakes

Its been a while but I think you need disc brakes from a full size chevy and they will bolt right on. I think ...If memory hasn't completely escaped me.. that the full chevy came out in 68 or 69 with discs and that they are 15 inch and the Station wagons are the best to get. Make sure you get the porporationing valve and the Master cly also.. Rotors are so cheap don't even worry about them if you are picking over a junker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its been a while but I think you need disc brakes from a full size chevy and they will bolt right on. I think ...If memory hasn't completely escaped me.. that the full chevy came out in 68 or 69 with discs and that they are 15 inch and the Station wagons are the best to get. Make sure you get the porporationing valve and the Master cly also.. Rotors are so cheap don't even worry about them if you are picking over a junker.
Disc brakes from a 68-70 impala or Caprice will bolt in if you get ALL of the assoiated hardware. Better grab the rotors as they are only made for those three years and the repo's now are bringing a high dollar. You can make C-3 Corvette rear rotors work but they actually require the use of a front drum brake hub to fit. Skip the Monte Carlo's disc as their ball joint spacing is too short.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Double D,

As another member posted the 68/70 spindles will bolt right in with no modifications. 67 will also work, however they are the dual piston type calipers. (ie more expensive) 71/72 spindles will not work, furthermore the wheel studs are 5" on 5" spacing as opposed to the earlier 5" on 4.5" design spacing which means you can not run the same wheels. Hope this helps.

GT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts