Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site, hello all! Question.....I recently purchased a 1965 Impala bare bones original everything, was tore down to the frame and all metal was sand blasted and primed (purchase price 3k). I live in Michigan and this car was from Alabama, we don't see them this clean around these parts and we certainly don't see them for 3k. It has the 327, 2 speed power glide now with only 24k original miles. The guy I bought the car from threw in a 454 block, heads, and crankshaft, dipped and ready to be built......and a T400 trans. My dilemma is do I keep it original? Do I put the 454 and T400 in it and sell the stock eng/trans (from what I have read its kind of a pain to install the 454)? Do I keep the 327 since it only has 24k on it and replace the power glide with the T400? I am not a fan of the 2 speed power glide but would it be best if everything matched as far as originality? My plan was to sell whatever I didn't use to help fund restoration. I thought with the purchase price so low and selling the extra eng/trans I could get the car back together and on the road for no outta pocket cost. Of course a nice paint job and seat recovering will be necessary at some point. One more thing, The 454 and turbo 400 are out of a 71 chevelle. Opinions are greatly appreciated.:dizzy:

·
Young Gun
3,907 Posts
I my opinion is keep it original cause it increases the value a lot. But if you do want to put in the 454 keep the 327 so it is somewhat all original. I was thinking of putting a 454 in mine but now that I think about it I want a 396 to put into her instead and bore it out maybe and put a mild cam and stuff. But that's all down the road. So anyway Id say keep it all original and put some performance parts on the 327 and sell the 454 and the same thing with the trans. I want to put in a turbo 350 but the powerglides are so cool and are actually going up a lot in value. So I say keep that in it also. But that's just my opinion

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
They are rare ass motors man. But a 454 is eh. Yeah no replacement for displacement but they dont like to rev high haha imo 454's belong in trucks and motor homes haha

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
I only read the first sentence of the thread and im gonna side the 454 over the 327. Id store that 327 up for a later project or for maximum value if you decide to sell the motor and finish up the 454 project build. To this day ive never seen a OG 327 in action, but from talking with some of my older neighbors and such, i hear the 327 was the small block from hell back then.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Twee eighty twee twoker. I tink I taw a puttie tat...

·
1,077 Posts
A 396 is more along what i would ultimately go with.

Reactions: brodg

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I only read the first sentence of the thread and im gonna side the 454 over the 327. Id store that 327 up for a later project or for maximum value if you decide to sell the motor and finish up the 454 project build. To this day ive never seen a OG 327 in action, but from talking with some of my older neighbors and such, i hear the 327 was the small block from hell back then.
My grandpa 86 Chevy 305 4x4 4 speed with granny low. We yanked out the 305 and dropped in a 327 from hell. It was built for a Monte Carlo dirt track car. Threw in a smaller cam and a 750 cfm carb. A set of long tube headers and full length 3in strait pipes. Then we built a wooden bed with removable sides up to the top of the cab. We could haul the hell out of some fire wood. I was 14 when he passed. My grandma gave it to me, but before I could haul it to my moms she sold it.

·
1,077 Posts
Thank you crime scene. That's what I want to do with my impala because the engine isn't the original

That 396 is a different breed of mean. I see them in the LT1 build's all the time, and i mean they haul ass on the track built on track only projects. But ive seen also seen them built for street and strip. And to have a highway burner like that as a daily driver just does something to me. Lets just say for me, its a work in progress for yours truly. Muahahahaha....:devil:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
OK, One of you is talking 396 BB, and one of you is talking 396 Stroker...If you are talking BB aka old school, you might as well go 454 as you can't tell the difference looking at it. If your talking stroker, it's all in how it's built...& a 396 stroker is going to cost you almost as much as the 454. Building a 500hp/500tq BB doesn't require any fancy/custom parts, nor does it have to rev over 6k rpm.

·
Still Plays with Cars
282 Posts
If you want the 454 to look somewhat original you will need a short water pump and all the brackets and pullys that were used in 65. 1965 was the first year for the big block 396 and the last for 348-409.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Thank you for that clarification Gregg-o, I was getting confused as to why anyone would want a 396bb. Same size and weight as a 454, but without the extra power and displacement... Wtf. I agree, unless its a big truck or motorhome, a big block is pretty much a waste.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Finally some one does haha^^^ plus small blocks sre half the weight lol i saw this thing on power block where they weighed a full dressed 454 and it.was a little over 860 lbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts