Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I bought a 1965 impala SS per vin # and title but when I got the car I noticed the whole front was of a 66 so my question is if I just buy the fenders and the header will it bolt up or do I need to change the whole front end bumpers , I guess the main question is will the fenders have the bolts in the same location. thank you

·
Registered
597 Posts
The book says the Radiator Supports are the same. They are listing the Inner Fenders different, but it "may" be because the '66 has a Rear Brace where the '65 doesn't and the Hoods are the same other than the Molding on it, but...

That said, the Fenders, Header Panel, Grille, Bumper and most likely a whole lot of the smaller parts will all be different. I would suggest to find a whole '65 Front Clip. It would be easier and may even be cheaper.

This way you would also have the complete '66 Front Clip to sell to help pay for the '65. Post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The book says the Radiator Supports are the same. They are listing the Inner Fenders different, but it "may" be because the '66 has a Rear Brace where the '65 doesn't and the Hoods are the same other than the Molding on it, but...

That said, the Fenders, Header Panel, Grille, Bumper and most likely a whole lot of the smaller parts will all be different. I would suggest to find a whole '65 Front Clip. It would be easier and may even be cheaper.

This way you would also have the complete '66 Front Clip to sell to help pay for the '65. Post some pictures if you can.

Thank you for that info , sorry but what are clips ( this is my first impala and not sure what clips are).. Thank You

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Front Clip means the whole Front End of the car, Sheet Metal wise. The reason we say Front Clip is because Front End usually refers to the front end of the frame (Control Arms, Spindles, Springs, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, etc). The whole Front Clip will be able to be removed as a unit. It is actually easier to change the whole Front Clip than it would be to change just one fender. You would need to drop the Bumper and take out the Hood first then look for the bolts that hold the Front Clip to the frame. Then take out the 3 main bolts on each side of the fenders near the Firewall. Also make sure not to forget the small stuff, like Wires, Hoses, etc.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
597 Posts
According to the aftermarket vendors out there, '65 and '66 Front Bumper Brackets are different. It looks like the '65's are not even available reproduced. I should have a good used set of 4 available.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm in SW Virginia.

I'll send a PM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts