Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how's it goin! I recently obtained a 65 bel air. I believe it has a 283 with what would be a power glide automatic?

The car starts fine and all that, while driving if I'm being gentle with the pedal and not laying into it, the car drives fine. I tried to do a burn out and after I let off the gas I noticed the car was still going at WOT so I shut the car off. Put it in park, turned it back on and went on my way.

Got home looked at the carb linkage to gas pedal, everything checked out fine. Put it in park and revved it up good, seeing if I can get the throttle to stick again. Nothing. I thought okay so it seems to only do it while driving. Took it out again and mashed the gas pedal to test my theory (only sticks at WOT). Just as I thought, throttle was stuck.

Once again I shut it off, put it in park, kicked her back on again and went home.

I'm guessing this may have something to do with the kick down?

That's really the only thing I can think of. Carb and pedal linkage look good, carb pump isn't sticking. Won't get stuck in park, which I take it that means it won't get stuck in neutral. Wasn't about to attempt the mashing of the pedal while in reverse. So the only thing I can imagine it could be is that something is sticking while at wot throttle, I know the kickdown engages when you lay into the gas pedal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
The kick down cable should not hold the throttle down. The throttle should be able to back off even if the kick down cable hangs momentarily.

Have you lubed the carburetor linkages? GM usually recommended using 30w oil for that, I also try to lube the throttle plate pivot points as well.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Check the kick down linkage both at the carb and tranny for any rough area which might cause it to hang up momentarily.

Last that I can think of is check the tension on the throttle return springs, if not tight enough then the engine running at full throttle may be able to keep the throttle plate at full open.

I hope this helps.
Kenny

·
Registered
34 Posts
It might be a broken engine mount (left side). Chevy had a recall for this. My moms 66 Impala SS (427 BTW) had a cable installed on the left side of the engine to frame to keep the linkage from binding. Try power braking with the hood up and see if the engine is lifting on the left side.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
I fixed dozens of these back in the day.
The cable was a stop gap fix for a year or so.
They came out with a different style of motor mount that had 2 tabs of metal locking the two mounting plates together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts