Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 Impala sport coupe. I recently had the transmission serviced and the mechanic told me that I have a good engine. He said I have one with a steel crank and the powerglide is aluminum instead of cast iron. Later that same day while I was at the local auto parts store another guys asked if he could look under the hood. I said sure and he told me I have a tonawanda engine? He said tonawanda made all the engines for the SS cars and a few went into regular Impala's. Does anyone know how to confirm whether this was the case? How can I confirm I have a tonawanda engine? There is no sticker on the valve covers. Did they have a sticker in 64? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first post and my first day as a member.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I wonder how they know.. but IIRC Tonawanda was the main engine plant back then, I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
engine

Don't expect too much info from that ID plate. I have a 65 and it will only tell you if it is a V8 or a 6...But there must be a ID on the block in the back where the dist is to zero in on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what size engine is it? also try looking below the heads for the stamp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts