Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a power disc brake conversion kit the 64 Impala I just purchased but there's a lot of choices out there for a basic kit that all sound the same. There's everything from Eckler's $539.99 kit to Year One's $788 kit. The catalogs (I have 7 Impala catalogs) aren't very descriptive. Any feedback on good/bad experiences knowledge? Several, but not all, say that stock wheels won't work. That might be my excuse to buy 15" Crager SS wheels. Looking forward to comments. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Looking to convert the drum brakes on my '64 Impala 4-door, but not sure which kit to get. I don't really want to change out my stock 14" wheels, but most conversion kits say you need 15" min.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anybody no why its not 4 14 inch rims ?

Is there a modification that can be done to make them fit 14 inch? I took my 62 SS 14" mags and tried to mount them on my 69 bird converted disc brakes who also claim 15 inch only and the had very minor fit issues . That could be rectified with a grinder to one of the mounting brackets that contacted the inside of the rim.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
in the same boat as well but i doubt there will be any way you can get your 14's to work with the disc breaks other then grinding down the top of the break caliber becuase its size it the main reason that you need to get larger wheels... IMO grinding it isnt worth it becuase even if it works you have weekend the caliber as well as left little space in the event anything get in your wheels.15's realy arent that much difference and a wider tire may help you grip the road better if you are doing the upgrade for the performace aspects

·
Registered
2 Posts
West up everyone,

hey this is my fist post so im not sure if im in the right place, but i need some help with the power sterring high pressure hose, my 64 ss came with power sterring stock, but now i put in a LT1 and im having problems because the hose gos conected to the valve shaft and moves from side to side and to close to the frame..need some advise please help.....ill be posting up pictures soon. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can use S-10 pick up (also 1978-1987 Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass) 14" steel rims so you will be able to use you stock hub caps & tires. This will work if you converted to disc brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1963 Impala SS Black / Black X 409 4 speed car, Small block now. To the point, I went to front disc brakes and used a kit from E-Bay. Learn from my mistake. Use your present spindle and buy the plate that bolts on the present spindle (you can get the rotors, calibers and rubber brake hoses at the part store). I went with the S-10 set up, but I would go with a bigger rotor set up if I do it again. I would not buy the master cylinder and portioning valve as one unit. I would buy the master cylinder and a adjustable portioning valve, it worked out better.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
sorry man this is a 4 year old dead thread

1 - 12 of 12 Posts