Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in the beginning stages of planning a complete rebuild of a 63 Impala SS. I'm putting in a 454 and a turbo 400. I know the original axle isn't going to last long so I'm trying to figure out what some good options are.
Does anyone know the axle width hub to hub on it? What are some options I could use?

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is your existing rear axle? If you don't mind mixing parts, the Ford 9 inch would be hard to beat. Currie sells brand new ones made to your specs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I don't know yet. I'm trailering the car back to Alaska from Minnesota in a couple weeks. I'm almost positive it's stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys. The rear is a GM 10 with the 8.2 ring. Not sure what gears it had but it's a posi for sure. So. Would you keep this or sell it and drop in a Ford 9" and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, would it be cheaper to just buy a prebuild drive shaft or have mine cut and new yokes welded up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought a Currie 9" with 3.70 gears and posi. I found a local shop that will get my stock driveshaft all welded up for cheap. It's all starting to come together nicely....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts