Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a 455 buick engine in a 63 belair/impala? I recently purchased a 63 belair that I want to put a 415 HP Buick 455 in. Will it fit? What kind of problems should I expect? Car origionally had a powerglide in it. Do I need to change the rearend?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A couple of pictures of your "project" would be nice.

You can pretty much put anything in anything when it comes down to it.
All depends on how much aggravation you are willing to put up with.

Depending on what power glide you have will depend on whether it will handle it or not. It will have to be rebuilt for sure to handle the increased HP. The older cast iron PG's were best suited for this. You can also consider a 700R-4 or any of the 4L series which would be a better choice.

As for the differential.
If the car was originally a 6cyl car it most likely has 10 bolt in it and they are kinda/real wimpy for what your attempting to do. A more robust 12 bolt would be a better choice and a posi unit would be even better.

You are going to run into some engine mounting issues, radiator fitment, and of course some front suspension issues as well with the increased weight etc especially if it was a 6 cyl or even a small block car.
Not too sure how oil pan clearance and cross member/ steering linkage etc. will get along, exhaust routing/manifolds around steer box etc, but, as stated, most things can be overcome depending on how deep your pockets are, how big your swear jar is, and of course your mechanical/engineering/fabrication abilities.

It will definitely NOT be a "plug and play" conversion.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Has anyone put a 455 buick engine in a 63 belair/impala? I recently purchased a 63 belair that I want to put a 415 HP Buick 455 in. Will it fit? What kind of problems should I expect? Car origionally had a powerglide in it. Do I need to change the rearend?

Any help would be appreciated.
Back in the 70's, when I was a teenager, a close friend of mine tried to put a 409 in a '70 Chevelle. It was too wide at the heads - it interfered with the steering shaft. (They understandably didn't want to re-engineer the steering system and thus abandoned the project.)

Anyway, my thinking is that, if the BelAir engine bay can handle a 409, putting the next gen big block Buick 455 in there should be a less challenging project than my example. But Pauly's right, there will, I'm sure, be some fabrication and engineering required to make it work.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts