Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Couple of years ago went through a big D.
On a spur night got a bone stock 62 Biscayne off E bay.
Its seen some hard times but never been cut on.Still has a 235,three on the tree and the rubber floormat is still there.
But floor are in need of replacing.Motor runs good.
The plain is to put new floor in and the power train up graded.
My question is how much work is needed to go with a powergliude behind a 454.
Or should I just use a turbo 400 that I already have.
This will be street driven but will also get run down the 1/4 drags in the summer.
The windshield wipermotor has power but will not run.
Will a wipermotor out a 63 Impala work?My dad has a 63 wagon that is a up for grabs for parts.It has a powergliude with a 327 that has not been run in years.
Talk to some guys last summer at the drags.They where 409 guys but they where running stock rear ends with posi .Are the stock rear ends that strong?
Later
Wilbe

·
Registered
170 Posts
62 project

To answer your questions, to put a power glide behind a 454 isn't a hard thing to do, if it was mine I would keep a turbo 400 and call that a day. I personally like that tranny over a power glide, but to each there own.I beleive a wiper motor froma 63 will work, but not a 64, watch e-bay and see what's for sale , check under Biscaynes and Impala's also, they are all the same body's.The rear ends are not the strongest thing gm has made but if you want to run slicks at the track you might end up busting a axle. They make a 9' ford from Currie that is a bolt in, They go for $750 plus you will need axle's, a 3rd member and brakes so it'l end up costing a couple grand by the time your finished installing it.You could always grab a 12 bolt out of a 70 chevelle and transfer the brackets over, as another option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts